1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attempting to install XBMC, ended up with error 21

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by tapsevarg, Oct 14, 2009.

1. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

I was attempting to simply install XBMC on this XBOX, that's it. I was following somebody else's instructions which weren't very good. I attempted to load up Linux without the Linux Installer on the HDD.

So what happened was I got an error 21 and was told to call customer service. But what really happened is they eliminated the copy option in the memory section. There no longer is an option to copy my saves from the card to my HDD. It disappeared altogether.

I read some stuff about possible solutions, tried one and failed. Can somebody help a guy who's an idiot when it comes to this stuff?

2. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

OK, I have done about as much homework as possible.

Here's the situation. I followed some bad directions trying to softmod with splintercell. I got an error 21. That error 21 removed the copy option for memory. It's gone. I never got the thing modded. The eror occurred before I could even backup the eeprom. Which stinks because I did the research, just followed the wrong guys directions.

So I have been up all night trying to salvage this thing. I have tried using HBOXHDM.... but I can't even get the thing to boot up on my computer, no clue what's wrong with that.

I have tried Xplorer360. But it never recognizes an fatx drive.

I am so frustated I can't even explain it.

I should mention this is a version 1.0 xbox with the 5960 dash.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

If you're saying that Action Replay doesn't allow copying the saves it's because you're not dragging the file(s) over to Action Replay correctly

Scan down the page here re the error 21 ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595 (look for the red titled section 'I have an Error screen when I boot up')

Chunkhead has some of the best tutorials here, bookmark that link for future reference..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

No. I am saying that when I screwed up installing the softmod..... the option to copy saves from card to HDD disappeared. It's ouright gone.

I have gotten XBOXHDM to work on my computer, but got nothing but errors - hda seek complete errors... followed by looking for CD-Rom in /dev/... mounting failed.

I have no idea what's gone on or what I can or need to do next. I'm absolutely lost.

5. creaky

Have a look thru that link i posted..

6. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Yes, I've looked through it. And it doesn't help.

Here's my issues in a nutshell. I can't do anything because hotwapping is not working. I unplug the DVD drive and start it up... get the error 11 and swap. Nothing.

I've tried everything too. I've tried changing the jumper setting on the HDD, and at this point I don't even remember where the original jumper went.

All I really need to do is successfully hot swap. But it's not working. Then my next option is buying an eeprom reader. Which is something I would like to avoid.

7. creaky

I can't help with specific error numbers other than reading tutorials such as i linked to, or searching the forums. I've very rarely had an error from the dozen or so xboxes i've softmodded or replaced hard drives in, whichever few errors i did have were solved easily thus i can't even remember what errors they were.

Anyways, HDD jumpers is easier. I'm pretty sure that the jumper of the drive should be on cable select when it's installed in the xbox (though you'd best google to check this, it's been ages since i've opened up an xbox), for a PC for hotswapping or whatever you'd change the jumper to allow the drive to co-exist with the dvd-rom or whatever drive you use in the PC.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

The tutorials aren't help though I do appreciate.

Things have gotten worse in the last couple of minutes. Now the XBox won't even load up. Press power and it turns back off, a couple more times and I finally get it to stay on though it goes right to blinking light and never displays anything on tv.

It's over. I've officially been beaten.

9. creaky

I haven't personally experienced the problem you've just described.
    Don't give up, just leave it a while to avoid frustration :), I'm sure one of the more knowledgable xbox posters will be along at some point.

10. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

If somebody had an idea, I would try it. But as it is, I've been thoroughly pwned by Bill Gates.

11. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You've also been gifted by creaky for not closing your thread for your horrible thread title.

Someone had to say it....

Anyway what you're trying to say is that you didn't have a modded xbox and you tried to make xbmc the default dash without modding the xbox first?

Or did you actually mod the xbox using a game exploit? If you used a game exploit you should be able to load the game (even with a error 21) and load your exploit. This would unlock the xbox so you can ftp to it.

If a hotswap fails the next step would be to make an eeprom reader.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

With the eeprom reader you'll be able to grab the eeprom off your board and be able to unlock your hard drive. Then you can edit the files on your hard drive, relock it and have a working xbox.

If you have any questions let us know.

12. creaky

i was bribed by the 'creek' in the title:p

13. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

The Xbox is/was umodded. I was in the process of loading up the game exploit when the Xbox bricked on me. I only had one of the Linux files loaded (not the Linux loader) because the directions I read mentioned nothing about it. Nor did they explain how exactly I was to load the save as there are two options, I think I picked the wrong one - download levels maybe.

I don't think I ever got the mod installed. So FTPing is not an option. For that matter the status of the Xbox has changed and now will not boot, power cycling three times then stopping on an error 21.

I had tried hotswapping so many times I can't count. No matter which course, it does not work - computer/xplorer360 does not recognize any FATX drive.

Eeprom reader. While it might be tempting to spend twenty dollars to save the Xbox.... I cannot. I have no serial port on my computer.

14. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

I don't know if it is worth mentioning. But I just had a nightmare of a time formatting my computer. Something I downloaded in the process of trying to unlock the HDD left a nice present on my computer, to the point where the bios would not recognize I had a DVD drive... even after clearing the CMOS many times. Something trashed my computer in this process as well. It's been lots of fun.

15. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

LOL like this thread title is any better.

Sorry you're having so many problems modding your xbox. Usually with the eeprom reader you can save any xbox if it boots the green screen. You're saying that the xbox frags and resets 3 times and displays an error 21?

Error 21 means the xbox can unlock the drive so i really don't see why you can't hotswap. If you unplug the dvd drive then turn on the xbox you should get an error 12 which will keep the drive unlocked. But if you're having problems there's no good way to trouble shoot what you're doing wrong. I didn't think building an eeprom reader was that expensive but not having a stoneage computer with a serial port would be a problem.

I'm kind of lost on where you can go now. If i was in your shoes i would try to hotswap with xboxhdm and if that didn't work i'd use the eeprom reader and make a new drive (i have about 30 original xbox hdd's laying around).

Just for reference which hotswap tutorials did you use? There are a couple that are outdated and are horrible guides to follow.

16. creaky

Two multiposts closed and sarcastic thread title renamed to something more meaningful.
    Way to go to annoy those that were helping you.

17. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Sorry for the multiple posts. I really didn't know which forum was appropriate. Nor did I read the forum rules, as I was frantically trying to fix the problem. I apologize.

C4RN1,

I have contacted some people listed as able to repair Xboxes in my area (Chicagoland). One responded and wasn't too sure he would be able to fix.

I already have a brand new 320GB drive waiting for the Xbox. One reason why I am reluctant to stop. But the darn hotswap wouldn't work. I hear you. It obviosuly worked for others. But it is not working for me. It's possible the issue with my computer somehow was a factor, I guess. Even running XBOXHDM, the drive wasn't getting recognized. So I assume it never gets unlocked.

Regarding the hotswap tut. Not sure which it is, would have to search. But it was on this website and people replied that it worked. I did essentially what you said. I unplugged the Xbox DVD drive and connect the Xbox HDD (powered on) to the computer. My computer always knew it was connected. I could go into device drivers and see the model number connected to the computer and supposedly functioning correctly. But that's the only place it would recognize it. Xplorer360 never was aware the drive was connected, nor would I see the HDD listed in my computer or drive tools. So I tried the XBOXHDM. When booting I could see the hard drive serial number get listed. But that would be the end. I tried two tools within XBOXHDM, I got nothing but hda seek complete errors... followed by looking for CD-Rom in /dev/... mounting failed.

IMPORTANT: when I tried the hotswap I would get error 11, not 12. I think I tried both plugging and unplugging the yellow wires from the DVD drive (in addition to the ATA cable)... still getting the error 11.

18. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah that's weird that you're getting error 11 and not 12. Maybe something happened to your dvd drive or your ribbon was damaged or something. Usually i would try a new ide ribbon, i doubt the dvd drive is bad.

Really there's not that many people who repair original xbox's anymore. They all do 360's and do some hackjob repairs. I've made an xbox out of spare parts and fixed a fragged board by repairing a trace so i seriously doubt it can't be fixed.

Anyway I responded to your pm before reading this, message me back.

19. scum101

scum101 Guest

unless it's a philips or somebody has fried the ide controller with attempting a pretty pointless hotswap.

the whole eeprom reader came about because error21 doesn't usually unlock the drive.. and for some reason seems to have priority over error9 or 12

anyway.. flog this brick on ebay and buy another.. they are pennies... I charge more to fix these that it costs to but another and spending some time READING the damn guides before starting......

I can fix it.. chunks can fix it .. our pal carni can fix it.. but it's damn hard to do unless we have our hands on the mess to see what is actually wrong...