1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATTENTION - DON NOT use DVD2ONE if.......

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Neromania, Feb 12, 2003.

1. zeionez

zeionez Member

I have been using dvd2one for a while now and of the 200 movies Ive backed up (thanks largly to blockbuster and their unlimited rentals for $25=month) I have noticed alot of pixilation when using my dvd player in progressive scan mode on any backed up copy of a movie rencoded with dvd20ne. Its very annoying to say the least. I am forced to leave my dvd Player on interlaced to get the best out of backed up rencoded movies, i notice this on + and - media of all shapes and sizes. I have the sonydru500ax and the hp 200i and a 36xbr tv. has anyone else noticed this?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't noticed any serious pixelization that would make a movie unpleasant to watch on any of my backups. A few of them are not quite DVD perfect and I hve noticed some minor loss in sharpness but not to the point of observable pixels. I am also using the Sony DRU500AX to record with. I rip with DVD Decrypter, then DVD2one to compress and thenDvdCopyPlus to burn. I check only 6 channel sound before copying, the more stuff you leave on your copy the more affected your picture quality is.

3. zeionez

zeionez Member

My point is that you wont notice anything horribly wrong with the picture if you have a interlace dvd player, but you will notice alot of pixilation on a progressive scan dvd player which is very annoying. I always only take the movie and the DD 5.1 and if at all possible I use IFOedit. DVD2one is a great easy to use, time saving program and especially good if you have a regular interlace dvd player.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have 3 DVD players two of which have progressive scan. How do you connect the players to your set, with SVHS or RCA connectors?

5. zeionez

zeionez Member

I use component cables ( y cr cb )

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You have the right connections, what is the make of your set and screen size?

7. zeionez

zeionez Member

I have the sony 36"xbr450 and the sony dvp700p dvd player im using monster component cables and I can manually switch between Interlaced and progressive while the movie is playing and there is a noticable pixilation in progressive scan not wiht every movie just the larger ones for intance I just did "The Ring" and "Ghost" and "Meet Joe Black" where I noticed it alot, but I didnt notice it very much with "Terminator 2" Or "U571"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2003
  8. Prime_vci

Prime_vci Guest

I think the best test would be this.... copy a movie lets say your freind, mom, dad, or someone has seen the orginal dvd of then make a backup and go u wanna watch this movie again put your backup and see if they say anything, i know how it is when u try to look real hard u will find somethign that may seem diffrent...

9. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess what you mean is this:
    If you know it's a copy and there is a slight quality loss you will see it.
    If you don't know it's a copy you will not notice a difference...from the original.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you put in the original and tell someone it's a copy they will see a slight loss. As for the pixeliztion on the Sony WEGA, some of it is due to the fact that it uses a CRT and that the larger the screen the more pixeled it will become. CRT's are limmited by design and size which means that in order to affect a larger screen size the actual pixels must be larger. This isn't to say that you aren't getting a better picture with the original or that the CRT is the complete cause but it is certainly a part.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  11. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

i have had mixed results using nero but dvd2one is spot on - my toshiba dvd player tells you the bitrate on a dvd and there is obviously a difference on longer films that have had the dvd2one treatment but to the naked eye?? as far as i can tell most films are fine, pal or ntsc, region 1,2 or wherever there from!!! I connect with component video cables and get fantastic picture quality anyway, as to whether this makes a noticable difference on dvd2one stuff is anyones guess but i think everyting looks ok!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2003
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you've had mixed results with Nero, then try CopyToDvd. As a combo they can't be beat. When you install CopyToDvd, it adds a check to DVD2one that sets up recording of the DVD immediately after the compression is completed. Just check that and when your DVD is ready to burn it sends a box for recording. Now all you have to do is insert media and click ok. It doesn't get easier than that. You can download a full working copy of CopyToDVD to try it out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  13. BSOD

BSOD Member

I Find movies upto 150 mins are fine but after 150 mins the movies start to get darker. As an example i tried Apocalypse Now Redux (202 mins & 7.9GB)the daytime scenes are very dark and the nightime scenes are unwatchable but still a great program at a low price.

BSOD

Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  14. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Did the same movie and the quality is still great.
    Saw some pieces of it, but I will watch it and see if that's the case (darkness).
    From the pieces I saw I had no such problem but I'll get back on this one...

15. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

i used the dvd20ne - copy to dvd combination on the time machine (canadian around 7gb) compressed it to just a fraction too big so it refused to write the dvd-r. Is it possible to overburn??
    Incidently nero also refused to write the disc as well.

16. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Strange ! Using DVD2One allways gives me an outcome of 4.36gb and that will fit on a DVD+r.

I suggest you try again.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

DVD burners can't burn anything larger than 4.37 gigs. You can set the values on DVD2one, I recommend setting values at about 4.37 to 4.36 gigs, this should elliminate any oversized results. Take note that when you are given the option of deselecting subtitles and sound tracks choose only a single sound track such as 6ch ac3. I've on occassion depending on the size of the original also selected 2 ch stereo with the 6 ch choice. The fewer options selected the better your video will be. Also when using CopyToDVD there is a choice on DVD2one to select burn files with CopyToDVD, select it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The choice of connectors depends on you TV. If your set accepts component connectors then they are the best. If not then it will probably accept svhs connectors and although not as good as component connectors it is still pretty good. Anything less than those and you might want to consider buying a new set.

19. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess what you mean is 4.37gigs...

I use Nero DVD-rom UDF/ISO to burn.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes I did mean 4.37 gigs, and if you had read a little further you would have seen that I did in fact suggest 4.37 farther along in the response. We all make errors from time to time and if the error is such that it makes the response confusing then it needs correcting. But if the response is understandable then to point it out is nothing more than a deixis.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003