1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Newbies..if your DMA is OFF or PIO Mode (here is a very easy guide to fix it)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by alkohol, Nov 20, 2005.

1. namralaks

namralaks Member

um I need to enable dma on my drives but the pictures are no longer there in this guide..plz help

2. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

3. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

When I tried to turn my dma on to my slave, I did everything you said, but I don't show an advanced setting, that part is not there. What do I do now? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and my dma for my slave according to system check in nero just say's autorun on dma off, but it is on for my master which is my burner. I have a Dell optiplex GX240 with windows XP pro with service pack 2, could that have something to do with it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  4. neelrup

neelrup Member

Hi Alkohol,

Thank you for ur deatiled helps in Page 1. But I have tried all these but still both my IDE Channels have PIO settings. I have the hard-dsk (master) and a DVD burner (slave) in Primary IDE and LG DVD Burner (master) and Samsung CDRW (slave) in Secondary IDE. I am going crazy with this as when I burn DVD-R (8x), it burns only at 1x, taking 50 mints to burn 4 GB data.

Another problem is that, when I uninstall the secondary IDE, after rebooting, the "Advanced Setting" disappears !?! Also, when I uninstalled the Primary IDE, I had problem in re-booting as my hard-disk is attached to it.

I also tried to Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, and reboot, but even that doesnt work. All my drives/devices are presently in PIO mode.

Please help me.
    Thanking in advance.

5. neelrup

neelrup Member

Sorry, a typing error:

But I have tried all these but still both my IDE Channels have PIO settings. I have the hard-dsk (master) and a Samsung DVD ROM (slave) in Primary IDE and LG DVD Burner (master) and Samsung CDRW (slave) in Secondary IDE. I am going crazy with this as when I burn DVD-R (8x), it burns only at 1x, taking 50 mints to burn 4 GB data.

6. coaxper

coaxper Guest

PLease help. I have been burnin dvds for long time. I have been using dvd descrypter to put it on PC. and then with shrink burned it. But now my shrink it says backed up successfully but at the end i try the dvd it is not burned. USually when the rom opens it is burned but most of the times it doesnt open. anyone can tell me how to burn anyother way or suggestions would be great. by the way it works sometimes and the other times it doesnt...

7. botski

botski Member

Alkohol, I'm a newbie and came across this site - now addicted. Great information. I wanted to increase my back-up speed and tried your DMA guide. The guide states either Primary/Secondary IDE Channel. My laptop only has a Primary IDE Controller, no secondary, and already set to "DMA if available". Other controllers in the IDE menu include:
    Intel(R) 8280 IG (1CH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers-27DF
    Intel(R) 8280 IGBM SATA AHCI Controller.

How can I increase my back-up speed, currently between 30min. to 80min.

Laptop details
    HP
    Genuin Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
    980MHz, 512MB of RAM
    OS-Windows XP Professional SP2
    DVD- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

Thanks
    botski (from OZ)

8. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

I followed Alkohol's guide and in transfer mode for both my Primary and Secondary Channel is "DMA if available" but in current transfer mode it is "not available" when I click on primary IDE channel. But when I click on the secondary channel in advance settings the primary drive current transer mode is "PIO" even though the transfer mode is "DMA if available". Secondary channel is "Ultra DMA mode 2". Could this also be why my Primary drive is having issues with writing to cd-r disks after only 7% completion?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  9. niddubtuq

niddubtuq Member

ive been having slow ripping and burning with nero and nero recode 2...and ive never had these problems before ever, ive been using nero for more than a year now...

heres my help thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366190

but ill post a pic

[​IMG]

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

As pointed out in your other thread your HP DVD Driver DMA is OFF it needs to be ON.

11. niddubtuq

niddubtuq Member

as of now, im a little confused right now =/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Your DMA has slipped into PIO mode,

13. niddubtuq

niddubtuq Member

so what should i do...this looks a lil bit different than what alkohol has posted right?

yeah lol im confused right now

14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Follow alkohols steps, one by one and you cant go wrong, I will no longer respond to this thread, all answers will be in your other thread

15. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Thanks a lot "alkohol" for that post it helped me out a lot

16. highperf

highperf Member

hi, i am having trouble with dma on my hd and this is the place to get help. there is some great info and tools here but i have not been able to fix it yet. before i start let me explain my situation.

i recently had a raid aray crash and had a problem with the drive size oon one of the drives. it is a hitachi deskstar vlat80. the 200gb drive was reporting as 40gb. i used a dos based f-tool from hitachi and fixed the size. the utility can also change the dma mode and that is set at ata 100.
    i install the drive on my main system and dma is not active. i follow the procedure on the first page and i got it to activate, temporarily? i changed the device mode to pio only, remove the drive, restart, turn off and then reinstall. change the mode to dma and it activates :) then go back to check and it is back in pio mode?

i did this a few times with the same result. i try a different drive in the same plug and dma is active? are there any other things i can try? just for giggles i hooked the drive up to a usb controller and the transfer rate was good for a few secconds then it froze up?
    please help

17. highperf

highperf Member

i figured out the problem :) the hard drive needed to be erased? not just formated. i did a hard drive sest and it was fine so i figured i could format it and be ok. nope. even though there were no bad sectors there was something wrong.
    so, i used the drive utility and erased the drive. makes it like new. it puts all 0's on the drive and takes some time. after that it was fine.

18. lishelley

lishelley Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  19. lursprung

lursprung Member

ok, I guess I posted something to the wrong thread now that I see this here.
    I still have a question though, if someone wouldn't mind answering me. I am not certain which of my primary/secondary IDEs belong to my dvd drive.
    When I click on Configuration in Nero INfotool this is what I see
    -primary ide channel
    -Master:WDCWD800BB-00JHA0
    -DMA off
    -secondary ide channel
    -primary ide channel
    -secondary ide channel
    Master:lite-on combo sohc-4832K
    DMA on
    Autonrun On
    Slave:lite-on DVDRW SHW-160P6S
    DMA on
    Autorun on
    -Sis PCI to USB Enhanced Host controller.

I have a drop down box at the very top and it shows both my drives but, when I change the drive showing, nothing changes in the configuration box itself.
    Is it the -primary ide channel -Master:WDCWD800BB-00JHA0 -DMA off that I need to uninstall to fix my "No Disk" problem in my dvd player, but will play in my computer, and teh 75 minutes it took to encode and then write the movie to dvd?
    I would welcome any advice.

20. freup

freup Member

I Did exactly what the guide said.. the Settings say DMA if available and Nero info tool said DMA is off DOES THIS MATTER?? or should I just leave it alone then

Thanks (Have a Plextor and LG-CDRW)