1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio and video desync in SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by eugen, Oct 16, 2002.

1. eugen

eugen Member

Could anybody help me with my issue - SVCD created from DVD (music clips) has very strange property - after skipping to the each next chapter audio and video have desynchronization (app. 1 sec) which disapeared in 10-15 seconds, BUT if you will go to the beginning of any chapter w/o skipping (f.i. ordinary playing) evrything will be OK. I feel that the problem is in padding stream but I could not solve it. It is very strange to me because I have some experience of using DVD2SVCD (app. half of a year, using tmpg (since 2.53) and cce (since 2.50)), most issues before (f.i. audio shift with LPCM sound, wrong aspect ratio in1 chapter, lost index for the last chapter, wrong chapters at all) have been overcome by me, but NOW I really do not know what to do.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

You say chapters in svcd, would I be right in assuming you mean different movie files that were all split from one full file???

When you skip between chapters on vcd/svcd, it often messes up with the audio startup delays so I would advise you to drop the whole Idea of chapters!

3. eugen

eugen Member

NOT AT ALL. Beforehand a have converted dozens of DVD discs with music clips into SVCD and every time there were no problems with chapters (skip forward and backward). Only once I have the same problem, but it was my fault, because I cutted/merged ready BBmpeg....mpg file with TPMG not DV tools. As far as I have read then TMPG could not handle correct with padding stream, DV tools could.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Oh right, I thought you were using TMPGEnc to split the files up into chapters!

Sorry bout that!

5. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

am I correct in assuming you are using DVD2SVCD to create these images? also, if the movie plays fine straight through, and when skipping chapters, the audio starts off skewed, but catches up, don't you think this may be a limitation of your DVD player?

6. eugen

eugen Member

About my DVD player. Beforehand (dozens of converted disks) everything was OK.