1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Calibration - A requirement for any Serious user

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Oriphus, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If you own a quality A/V Receiver, then really you should spend some time to get the best out of it. Digital Video Essentials have a disc that allows you to calibrate any Receiver system, 5.1 and 6.1 DD/DTS being the most common. It is highly recommended and really worth while. You wouldnt believe the difference in sound in a properly calibrated system. It will also set up your Video/Picture settings perfectly as well.

Uk Users get it here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...6299/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-6420057-0890027

US Users get it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-7178461-1727800?v=glance&s=dvd

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

But first check your old dvd's to see if this included as a special feature before buying. I have bought some DVDs for $6 at Walmart and included in the special features is a DVD dictionary and this type of audio and video calibrations. So check your Discs before running out to get these disc.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, true. To be honest though, with the DVE, it will explain everything about Home Cinema, as well as having set-ups for 5.1, 6.1 and more. Also, it will let you adjust each speaker output depending on the distance and will allow you to control levels of frequency going to each speaker, as long as the amp supports it.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I know its good to get something specificly designed for calibration. But I just wanted others to know that there are other options out there. My Kenwood VR-7070 Receiver has a calibration pulse setup built in. It is very good at allowing various speaker output setups depending on where you put them and where you would sit in perspective to them.
    I descovered it at 2am one night and I hope the sub test didn't wake up my apartment.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

How much did you pay for your Kenwood? I've seen them at really good prices recently, cheaper than i thought for a THX certified machine. Is it true THX certification?
    Thanks

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

7. jeff-o

jeff-o Member

I have a Pioneer DVD player and a Marantz SR5400. Both have built-in speaker calibration features. You can set speaker distance and gain for each channel, as well as the small/large speaker setting.

There's also a THX-certified audio calibration feature on every DVD ever produced by Lucasarts (Star Wars, Indiana Jones)

If anything, I'd have a pro with a golden ear come in and tune my system for me, if it mattered that much to me.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To be honest you dont need a pro. The Marantz SR5400 allows you to calibrate each individual channel, but with the DVE disc you do get that bit extra that allows to calibrate the sound to a better extent.

I too have the Marantz SR5400, its a great receiver...