1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Capture Problem

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by poleary, Oct 8, 2004.

1. poleary

poleary Member

I have my VCR hooked up to my computer so that I can transfer a home video to an AVI file to then convert to DVD. I have used it in the past and have had no problems. This is the first time using since installing SP2 (the problem???). When I connect the VCR, I can capture the video but not the audio. I cannot hear the audio on the computer when it is capturing or after it is done capturing. How do I even begin to troubleshoot this???

Please help as soon as you can. I am trying to make a video for a party on Sunday.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick

2. 12256180

12256180 Member

If you have your VCR hooked up by s-video then no surprise at all. S-video doesn't carry audio. You need an audio connection.

But you say you'bve done it before? Don't see why SP2 should be the problem. How are you capturing?

3. poleary

poleary Member

I am hooking up the VCR with standard RCA audio and video jacks (not S-video). I used to do it all the time, now it is not working. I just want to know where to start to begin troubleshooting. Any ideas?

4. jamesrob

jamesrob Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Ati all in wonder 9800 pro. Pre service pack 2 i had no problems capturing but now i have no audio. I am using rca to connect my cam to the capture card. I have made no other changes. I tried to use a vcr to run the tape to capture from with the same results. Video is fine, but no audio. Since the problem arose I have sent a trouble shooting email to ATI but they only directed me to the common issues on their website that I have already tried with no successs. I'm glad to hear some one else is having the same issue and it's just not me. I have re-installed all my video card drivers mmc and ect but nothing seems to work. I'm baffled here!

5. ultim8um

ultim8um Member

If you have both the latest MMC / DAO-MDAC packages along with the latest catalyst then you should be fine...

Except of course XP SP2 is known for breaking stuff...

I would check you also have the latest audio drivers and that the correct sound capture device is selected in your sounds and multimedia control panel applet.

Other than that your stuffed short of a rollback or reinstall.

6. jamesrob

jamesrob Member

Well last night I removed service pack 2 all drivers and ect related to ATI and did a clean install of my video card using my original install disk. I aslo reinstalled the sound card drivers just to be sure. Guess what, Nothing. All for nothing. So I think I can say that it's not to service pack 2 causing the problem. My next step is to get a cheap new sound card and try that. I'll post back with my results.

7. jamesrob

jamesrob Member

Update!

I used an adapter to downsize my guitar cable so it would fit into my line in on my sound card and viola I have sound comming into my input. So it is not the sound card cuz it works. It was not due to service pack 2. So I think the only other possable problems are the cable from the ati in or the sound card/vid cards are not working together. Or its a driver issue with the video card itself. It seams now as if the out put of the video card is not working. I will try to hook up a tv to it to see if i can out put to a tv.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  8. jamesrob

jamesrob Member

Update again.

This time on a positive note. I bought a cheap 10 buck sound card and it solved the problem. So there must have been a conflict with my video card and my original on board sound device. My mobo is a asus p4p800 Not sure if you have on board sound or not but if u can grab a cheap sound card and see if it will solve your issue.

9. poleary

poleary Member

I have been out of town for a week and will try some things when I get back Saturday. Thanks for the posts so far.

Patrick

10. jessman

jessman Member

Hi guys,
    I've just installed a Winfast TV2000XP onto my computer. My problem is that when I capture video I have no sound, I recorded onto the HDD hoping that it will have sound but no good. Can someone please advise.

Thanks in advance

11. poleary

poleary Member

I'll describe my situation a little further.

COMPUTER
    HP m470n Media Center PC 2004
    Service Pack 2
    3.0 mhz HT
    512 MB Ram
    160 GB Hard Drive

I have a capture card in the front and the back of the PC. The one in the back of the PC only has S-Video inputs and composite audio. The one in the front has S-Video, composite video and audio. I have used the front capture to capture all sorts of video and audio from a VCR. I have not tried the back one as of yet.

A week ago I tried to capture a tape from a VCR with no luck. The video will show on screen but no audio.

At first I thought this was only a problem with the front capture card. However, if I try to capture video and audio from the built in TV tuner, I end up with the same results --- video with no audio. I have tried to capture in a few different programs --- Windows Movie Maker, Nero Vision Express, Sony Screenblast. All with no luck on the audio. Again, I have tried both the VCR and TV Tuner with all of these programs.

This morning I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Ac'97 audio drivers to see if that would cure the problem. No dice. Still with the same problem.

Hopefully, someone out there can help me out. Thanks.

Patrick

12. poleary

poleary Member

Now, I somehow got the computer to give some sound when capturing. However, I will here static and it goes on and off and gets progressively louder. It does this until it reaches the max level of the speakers and then shuts off.

No idea here.

The other weird thing is, I can watch TV using Windows Media Center with NO problems. But if I try to capture the same signal using Nero or something else, no sound.

Patrick

13. poleary

poleary Member

Well, I have tested everything else on the front of the computer; mic, headphones, s-video, composite video, usb, firewired. They all work. The only thing I cannot get to work is the Red and White RCA audio plug-ins. In addition, I still cannot capture television audio from the tuner.

Patrick

14. pcrescue

pcrescue Member

Check with your sound control panel . There should be Control for Playing and for recording. Sometimes, we set up with Aux but at the sound control ,you gave green light with Microphone or other device.

Since all other input connectors are ok, how about use alternate way from the Line in (Light blue Color ) from the back of the motherboard .But you will need RCA Female Jack to 3.5mm audio male Jack Adaptor.

One thing just want to make sure. Did you install SP2 or media center 2005 ? If you installed SP2 , there might be some conflict.

15. poleary

poleary Member

Yes, as I stated in the first thread, I just installed SP2.

16. pcrescue

pcrescue Member

17. poleary

poleary Member

Sorry, I should clarify.

I updated everything from the HP website BEFORE I installed SP2.

18. poleary

poleary Member

Any other ideas?? I still cannot capture the audio. Please help.

Patrick

19. poleary

poleary Member

UPDATE...okay, I got pissed that I couldn't figure this out. I backed up my data and did a full system recovery / restore last night. Upon doing so, I saw that HP gives you the software ArcShow (I had unistalled it the 1st time). It captured video and audio perfectly. I didn't load SP2 yet. Then, I reloaded all of my old programs (Nero, etc.). They still CANNOT capture the audio. However, ArcShow will. Thus, I am pretty sure this is not an SP2 problem. I just don't understand why this is happening. I hate ArcShow and would rather not use it. Any thoughts?