1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio clipping occurs regardless of file format

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by turkey, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, No It wouldn"t be copy Protection because the only copy protection used on VHS tapes is Macrovision Copy Protection and that doesn"t affect the audio, What it does is Make the Video Go Dark and Bright and have Lines going through it so the Image is Pretty Much unbareable to watch but the audio should sound Fine....

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

yeah i figured, but i'm covering my bases. i borrowed a digital camera from a friend and was trying to move the VCR footage to the camera then to the computer thru firewire. the camera would only record 10 seconds of the movie before it would stop and say the input was copyrighted, which seemed very strange, but the video and sound was perfect for those 10 seconds... i copied an hour of home video footage from the camera to the computer thru firewire with no problems, the sound was great. i noticed that both CPU's are at 95% when capturing from firewire, with no sound problems, and both CPU's are at 70-80% when capturing from analog video and sound but with sound clipping. i should add that when i hook up the analog outputs from the camera and then capture home video, there is still sound clipping. would that still point to PCI bandwidth issues???? i'm just trying to be absolutly sure that if i go and buy new stuff that it is accually going to solve the problem, ya know....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]i like to eat turkey...[/small]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  3. squiggie

squiggie Member

Minion,
    I seem to have the exact same problem. Although if I lower my capture quality it seems to go away. I have done everything and it still seems to be there and I was wondering if you found a solution yet. After alot of homework I think that the VIA chipset is not happy with the ATI graphics card. Let me know.
    My configuration is PIII 900, 256MB, ASUS CUVX-E MB with VIA chipset, SB LIVE 5.1 and ATI AIW Radeon.

Let me know.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It sound Like you have a simular Problem especially because you say if you lower the audio Capture Quality the Problem goes away..I don"t think it is a Graphics Card conflict or anything like that Cuz I use an ATI Radeon 7200 VIVO Card and a Via Chipset and I haven"t had a problem but then again I have an 8X agp which effectively doubles the Bandwidth of my AGP...I did have a Problem with Nvidia Gforce Video cards with this Chipset though...It seems you are useing a Pretty Slow System also ,Useing a faster system with more available Bandwidth would greatly improove performance, Like I said earlier you can upgrade your PC to a 2.5ghz for a Little over $100 which is allmost a 300% Speed Increase ...You should also check your IRQ"s and look for any Conflicts and do the other things I mentioned....Cheers

5. turkey

turkey Regular member

hey squiggie, sorry to hear you are having problems but it makes me feel better to know that i am not the only one with this issue. i think it only makes sense that it is a hardware issue, so it's about time i upgrade.

Minion, if you could, let me know how to get in contact with this dealer of yours, once i get set up i will be sure to post the results...

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Actually the Guy I get Most of my CPU/Motherboards from Sells a Lot of His stuff on E-Bay so I will Post his Bidding watching Page and you can contact him from there...I just checked his Page and he Doesn"t have a Lot of Stuff Listed But I"m sure if you e-mail him he can get other stuff..The Last 2 Combo"s I got weren"t listed but he was able to get some other stuff...He does have good deals on Athlon XP 2000+/Motherboard Combo"s for $89 but I"m sure if you ask he will have access to faster Athlons or Intel CPU"s, so just send him an e-mail...Cheers
    http://cgi6.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...id=faztnfuriazzn&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  7. turkey

turkey Regular member

well it's been more then a month but i've now been captureing beautiful mpeg copies of VHS tapes, and most importantly the sound is perfect. i upgraded my dual P3 1.0GHz/512MB RAM combo to an AMD Opteron 244 with 1 gig RAM (admittedly the upgrade may have been overkill for an improvement in PCI latency, but who cares, i could fly to the moon with this thing!!!). But i did keep the same Gigabyte Radeon 9200 VIVO, cheepo Chaintech sound card, and dual 120GB HDD/RAID subsystem. So i think that it is safe to say that the Pentium III (even in dual config) is not an adequate processor for this type of work. Though i am sure many of you guys aready knew that, this simply reasures that fact.

8. modena

modena Member

I've having the same problem with my AIW 9800 Pro. I have a P42.6C CPU, so I shouldn't have any resource issues. My Mobo is a Abit IC7-E, with Intel 865 chipsets, so it's not the VIA issue.

I've tried sliding the volume to almost completely off, but the captured video (from VHS) is still distorted. I'm using catalyst4.2 and capturing using ati capture. Ideas?

[edited] I'm using the mobo sound. AIW cable plugged into Line-in.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  9. turkey

turkey Regular member

are you saying you are getting distorted sound?? or distorted video??

if you are getting distorted sound the first thing you need to establish is whether good quality sound can be recorded independent of the video. i dont know what program you are using for capturing but there should always be a setting to only record sound from your input source and not the video. make a few recordings using this setting from a few different sound sources and it will greatly narrow down the possibilities for where the problem lies.

10. modena

modena Member

Turkey, I'm getting distorted audio only on the recorded side. Meaning, while I'm capturing the auido and video, everything looks beautiful and everything sounds beautiful. But, we I play-back my recorded MPEG-2 files, the audio is distorted.

Interesting though, I was able to get decent audio by literally turning *ALL* volume slider to just above off (less than the first notch). OF course, when I playback the file, I have to crank the volume, but it does NOT distort. From the 40+ posts I've read, it seems the volume reduction necessary to get clean audio for me is quite excessive.

I have not attempted to to record just the audio, but I will give it a try.

I'm using the ATI AIW capture s/w supplied with my card. I also want to add I have similar audio distortion with VirtualDub.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you can capture good Quality Audio but at a Very Low Volume then you can allways Boost the Audio Volume in a Good Audio editor like Sound Forge or Goldwave, they also have tools for cleaning up certain aspects of the Audio....Cheers

PS: some encoders Like Tmpgenc also have the feature to boost the audio Volume...