1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio file conversion question!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by snoofie, Feb 27, 2005.

1. snoofie

snoofie Member

I just bought an mp3 player, and I'm trying to fit as many songs onto it as I can. So what I need to know is, which program is best for converting mp3 files to wma format, and which settings should I be using in order to get as many songs as possible onto the player?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

WMA is not my preference ;-(
    Perhaps you should make MP3s for your MP3 player...?
    And why do you want to convert existing MP3s to WMA - this will cause quality to degrade, and is to be avoided!
    Stick with MP3s, you can make them with CDex
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    and you can still of course play them back in Windows Media Player.
    (I take it you like WMP because you like WMA.)
    The more bits the better the quality; if you want more files therefore smaller files, your quality will suffer.
    I recommend good ol' 128kbs for you. It is the original Napster 'standard' from the 90's.
    Do not go less than that!
    For proper playback in hifi (on a good home stereo) you will require more; at least 160 or 192kbs (CBR) or their VBR equivalent.
    Try CDex LAME with VBR-MTRH, Very High Quality Q=0, VBR quality 4, Bitrate 128 (min) 256 (max), and J-Stereo format. This will make quite small files that still sound excellent :)
    L8R

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If you want small I would try MP3: VBR, Min: 32, Max: 192, Channels: Jonit Stereo.