1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio format

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by benny42, Jul 22, 2002.

1. benny42

benny42 Member

I'm wanting to create a DVD-R from a DV source. Having generated an AVI file ready for encoding to Mpeg2 in Tmpgenc, I'm unclear about whether to encode the video stream only and to add the audio in uncompressed format (48 KHz, 16 bits, stereo)later or simply to proceed with Mpeg1 Layer II compression. Have read conflicting advice and would appreciate any thoughts on pros /cons of both. Is there much sound degradation with compressed files when played through quality amp and speakers?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Most commercial DVDs are in AC3 or linear PCM. You find that music DVDs are mostly in PCM and 'films' in AC3. I'm sure there are people out there that claim they can tell the difference, but that would depend on the type of system the disc is going to be played back on (and the quality of the audience's ears...). I think the choice is yours, but PCM audio takes up a hellofa lot more space on your DVD. Something else to put into consideration when deciding what audio encoding to use.

3. benny42

benny42 Member

Many thanks for the feedback. I will stick with the compressed form and see how it goes.