1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio not working

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 06118, Feb 22, 2004.

1. 06118

06118 Member

Video is fine, and when I right click the file It says audio duration is 59 minutes, and it should be. It says its 448kbps. Should be all good. But When I play it I get no sound at all. Anyone know of a program that will allow me to tweek some setting thta may be causing this? Anyone know what the problem is?
    Thanks

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

First off Audio was probably 44100 when it needs to be 48000 <-- DVD Compliant

Secondly you'll need to explain a bit more in depth about what method you took to achieve what , as nothing is properly explained in your first post...

peace

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Also, make sure your speakers are plugged in ;-)

4. 06118

06118 Member

Oh sorry about lack of info. I didn't rip the file, apparantly someone else did as I dled it. I'm not even sure if its from a dvd. Its kind of old. I havent burnt it to a dvd yet, but so far, I cant get it to play audio on my computer. Audio is at 448kbps.

5. 06118

06118 Member

Yeah and theres nothing wrong with me sound. lol

6. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

How was the DVD ripped? AVI or mpeg?

7. herbsman

Ah , so we are NOT even talking about DVD , hence my moving of this thread to the right Forum... (as of now)

8. 06118

06118 Member

It's in AVI format. Is is possible for the sound only to play only after being burnt to a dvd or should it play in my computer?

9. herbsman

It should play on your PC , it could be down to you not having the right codec installed even.

These are the risks you run when downloading files tho isn't it , you don't know if the person ripping the original video knew what they were doing !!;-)

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

448kb/s is classic BSI from AC3 audio, isn't it?
    I did not know that DVDs don't like 44.1 audio (thanks Herbsman).

11. 06118

06118 Member

When I try to play the file in either winmedia or winamp it says its dling codec, and appears to finish, but nothing is done. Does this mean they have no codec for it and the person just screwed up? Should my dvd player be able to read it fine?

12. herbsman

Yeah , it is a commonly occuring problem as people usually convert/encode the .avi or .mpeg to .VOB leaving the audio as mp3 (44.1).
    Hence leaving them with no audio when in playback on PC media player or stand alone DVD Player.

06118 if you haven't got this codec from the link below , then you will need to d/l at some point (no doubt)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid.cfm

13. 06118

06118 Member

Well the audio says its 448kbps and 59 min long, and it still won't play. Do you know of a program I can use to fix it and what I should do?
    Thanks

14. 06118

06118 Member

sry I just saw your post about the codec. I dled it and installed it. Im supposed to have a config menu to go to right? All I see in that folder are statsreader, minicalc, and avic. I know nothing about this stuff. All I want it to do is play my sound. Is there a way for winmedia or winamp to just recognize it somehow like they do when they automatically dl codecs?
    BTW-- Winmedia tries to dl the codec every time I play but it always says there's an error. I guess Ill just burn it and hope it plays on my dvd player.