1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio or dvd player selection box does not appear

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Aug 25, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

desktop running win7 32 bit. in the past when any type of disc is inserted in drive E and closed a dialog appeared listing all the installed players to choose from. this is no longer the case. both cd and dvd opens in vlc by default. i need to open other players manually and open the drive or use the computer folder to do it. how to i get this dialog box to appear?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Have you tried setting your default programs to the player of your choice or set your autoplay choices? Go to control panel, click auto play for file types you want a particular application to open or choose"ask me every time," choose your application, save and give it a try. There should also be a "default programs" button in your Windows Startup just under "Computer." I doubt that many of us would prefer to have to select an application every time we open a file. I have every video application on my computer set to open with a particular file type because some are just better at some things than others.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Remove vlc's file associations.This should then have the menu popup asking what player to use.I use vlc for music files & set mpc for video.Any other player i have gets selected manually if i'm in the mood

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Issue solved by experimenting. Now all 4 of my players appears in the list from which I can choose which player to use. It took some doing. XP did not have this issue. This dialog was in auto mode and all players would be added as installed. It amazes me that each version of windows loses some simple feature only to move it to some hidden process to bring it back. Not good and frustrating to the end user.