1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio out of sync after burning

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by abba560, Jan 22, 2011.

1. abba560

abba560 Member

Ok, I’m hoping this can be answered without getting to technical, cause I am really not too technically advanced but this problem really has me annoyed.

I am running nero7 ultra on windows XP. I am attempting to first compress movie files I get off the net, (typically about 800mg in size). Then burn as a DVD. My goal is to compress them enough to get two movies on one dvd disc.

I first transcode the files to my harddrive with the compression setting on "extra long play". This normally gives me two vob files per movie, one at a bit over 1 gig and the second at a little under 1gig. Both sections play fine on my computer and the audio is perfectly in sync.

The problem arises when I go to burn them to disc. When I pop the burned disc into my dvd player, the first file plays perfectly, but each file after that the audio sync gets worse and worse. Two movies = 4vob files so by the time I get to that final file it is completely unwatchable.

I have temporarily solved the problem by finding software to rejoin the separated vob files into one file for the entire movie. As long as I burn only one rejoined movie to the disc it plays fine all the way to the end. But again if I attempt to put 2 rejoined vob files on the disc, the second one is out of sync with the audio.

I thought it may be a problem with the original file because oddly, I transcoded and burned as dvd approximately 30 1hr tv shows, putting 4 1hr shows, in 4 separate vob files.
    A little over 7 discs and they all play fine. I don't see that I've did anything different when burning the movie files. But I have tried this with about 10 different movie files, avi, xvid, and mpg files originally. They all result the same.

Any relatively simple solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated

Ty
    Steve

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't understand this part.

DVD standard is for a single VOB to be no more than 1GB=1024MB, so if you join up the VOB files then author them back to DVD movie format, they should be split in two again.

Does the disk with the sync problem playback ok on the PC.

3. abba560

abba560 Member

When I first transcode and compress the movie files, Nero automatically splits the vob files. Yes, max file size appears to be 1024MG. At the compression rate I normally use, for a 700-800MG movie I get two separate vob files for each movie. Since it is the transcoding and compression that take so long to do, I typically set up a project of 3 or 4 movies to transcode and compress at night. I start them just before going to bed and they are ready in the morning. Since I am burning them to my hard drive rather than going straight onto a disc, size of the finished project is not an issue. I did consider whether transcoding several large files at once, making the transcoding project so lengthy, (usually about 3 to 4 hrs) was the problem. But twice I tried transcoding individual movies one at a time and still got the same problem when I then went to burn the multiple vob files to disc.

Joining the two vob files to get one, average size 2gig vob movie file is just a work around I tried after attempting various changes in nero's controls and constantly getting the same results. IE first file burned, always play fine. Each subsequent file goes out of sync more and more. As long as my Dvd burn project only contains one file, the size does not matter. I use "VOBMerge252" put the two partial vob files in and get one, on average 2gig vob file.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say nero should still re-split the vob file. I just go into nero DVDburn, reset the "Transcoding Quality" to automatic and hit burn. Generally takes about 6min to burn the disc and I get one file on the menu with the complete movie and I always plays fine. As long as it is only one file I enter into the burn project.
    ( Ahhhh I just put one of the discs I burned using a joined vob file, and see that nero did re-split the file into 2 vob files.
    Normally, with a disc that I have burned using multiple vob files, when I place it in my DVD player, the menu on my tv shows each separate file on the menu screen. But when I burn the disc with one large file, the menu screen lists only one file.
    But, I just looked at that same disc on my pc, it does show the vob file as being re-split.
    Now I'm seriously confused, why should it make a difference if I burn the project as multiple vob files vs burning one large file that nero ultimately splits again anyway??

Yes, when I play the out of syc burned disc on my pc, the audio is still out of sync.

4. attar

attar Senior member

When you save the output from Nero to the HDD and play those files, is the audio out of sync.

5. abba560

abba560 Member

The vob files saved to my hard drive all play fine. It is only after burning them to disc that the problem arises.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Try burning the output folder to disk using ImgBurn instead of Nero.

If possible, use disks that are known to be consistently high quality.

The only two I know are Taiyo-Yuden (mail order) or Verbatim (not the cheaper Verbatim Life Series) you want something that has 'AZO' on the package or DataLife Plus.

The last thing I would do is check for a firmware update for the burner.

It may be that it is using too high a burning speed for the media.

You can use ImgBurn to check, 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Check for firmware update'.