1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio over network

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by pthor, Dec 3, 2003.

1. pthor

pthor Member

Is it possible to send all my sound from one pc on my LAN to another?

There is one pc that has sound capability, but because of physical hardware issues, would not be able to connect to my speaker system.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

"Sending" audio from one computer to another just requires a small network.

"Streaming" audio from one computer to another requires a small network and streaming software (i.e., Windows 2000 Server, Creative's proprietory streaming proggie, I forget what it's called).

3. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

If you have 2 pcs, one kickarse with an awesome sound setup, and another POS that doesn't even have a soundcard all you have to do is network the two computers (crossover cable or cat 5e and a switch) share the music on the crap computer in network neighbour hood under my music for example, then all u have to do is play it in network neighbour hood on the good pc, the music plays over the network, no need to copy the music to the 2nd pcs hdd. This is windows xp, is there any one out there on a pc not using xp yet?

Bailey

4. Praetor

Ya.... me. The XP installation that i have buried away in one of the ghosts is adjusted and tweaked so far it shouldnt be called XP anymore.

5. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

LOL, BAM.

Bailey

6. Praetor

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I use XP only on new computer because it came with it. All of my other systems are Win98SE, Redhat, OS8.6 and I even have a Win3.1 sytem. But thats not the question.
    The question is because of physical hardware issues, not possible to connect to speaker system.
    My question is what do you mean by that. Do you have a computer and a Stereo reciver and you want to connect to it? or do you have two computers? From the wording I think you have a Stereo reciever and a Computer and you want to play Mp3 or what ever.
    So this will be my first assumption, my next assumption is you live in North America. So go to a Dollar store and buy a 3.5 stereo connector to two RCA plug addaptor. At a dollar store this is a dollar, at Radio shack or a stereo shop this is 10 dollars. The addaptor will fit in you sound card headphone or line out port. If you want 5.1 you will need at least two addaptors. then connect the RCA plug ports to your Stereo. If you want and don't have 200 meters of RCA cable, you can buy wireless speaker sets that connect to the RCA plug addaptor you bought and to your stereo reciever. This uses Radio frequency to transmit signal to the reciever, just like wireless networks. the problem is you need to buy from Radio shack, the only place I have seen them.

If it is a computer to computer issue, just open WinAmp in Net neighbour hood as pbailey said.

8. pthor

pthor Member

I have a laptop, which has a wireless connection to my computer. The laptop has a much better display than my desktop, has a DVD player, and is wide screen. I have a 5.1 speaker system connected to my desktop. The speaker system has only analog inputs.

My Laptop has 5.1 sound, but only has a S/PDIF (digital) output. so there's no way to use my current 5.1 speakers with my laptop. So I wanted the cheapest way to show the picture on my laptop and the sound on my good speakers.

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ok so your question is really, how do I connect 5.1 speaker system to my S/PDIF connector, with out spending money?
    That is an easier question to answer. The easiest way is buy this product from Creative labs:
    http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9103
    I have seen it a Best buy for about $200 Can or Online for about $100 US dollars. It always bugs me that in Canada electronics are twice as expensive as in the USA. Toshiba has a connector that is less than $100, but not as good as this creative product. I will try to think of cheaper solutions.

10. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Call me a cheap skate, or non-lazy, but i know which way i'd rather do it...

[bold]Praetor[/bold], BAM is what fry out of futurama says when he or someone says something smart and witty, but obviously i've used it in the wrong place... ;)

Bailey

11. Praetor

I think ive seen one futurama episode -- just no damn time for any of that stuff anymore :(