1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio pops/garbled just playing normal DVD's

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dniemeye, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dniemeye

dniemeye Member

I put together a new system, see below for details. Everything works fine. Audio CD's play in both the CD/DVD player and the burner BUT DVD's don't play sound correctly no matter what player software I use and no matter which CD/DVD drive I use. The sound pops and sounds like you're under water a bit, very bothersome but we can actually make out everything in a conversation. It's almost like I had bass-boost on and it pops in your speakers, but that's NOT the case. I've tried everything, many, many movies. One thing I noticed is that afer I ripped a copy of a movie to my hard disk the VOB file played audio just fine (with ATI file player playing that file from the hard drive). But that same movie is garbled when played in the DVD drives.

System: Intel Motherboard, with P4 2.26 Ghtz "D845EBG2L", 1/2 gig RAM, 2 200-gig HD's, on board sound (for now), ATI Radeon 8500 All in wonder video card, Pioneer CD/DVD player "106Ss/sl", and Pioneer DVD burner "DVR-A04".

What do you think? I'm sure a better sound card would help but before I spend more for that I'd like to know why the DVD file would play fine from the hard drive but not from the DVD drive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Niemeyer

2. whitet7

whitet7 Guest

It may be the onboard sound card. I had the same sort of problem, but with a Creative Sound Blaster 16. It only seemed to happen in Windows 98, cause as soon as i upgraded to Windows XP, the sound was perfectly fine. Maybe your motherboard manufacturer may have updated drivers for the onboard sound.