1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Problem..when doing avi to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by expediant, Mar 2, 2005.

1. expediant

expediant Member

Hi There,

I was wondering if anybody could help me.....As i am pulling my hair out now.....lol.....I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH SOUND SYNCRONISATION WHEN I RIP.

I have happily been aquiring AVi format movies for sometime now and using Nero burner 6 with all the correct MPeg Pluggins to make movies and convert them back down to DVD format so they are playable on a home DVD player.

But, recently everytime i edit and burn a movie to DVD format, the Sound is out of sync with the movie by about 3 seconds. I have tried everything from burning in SVCD, VCD, DVD....direct to my hard drive to direct to DVD Disc but i cannot solve the sound sync problem.

I EVEN RESORTED TO COMPLETLY REFORMATTING AND REINSTALLING MY WINDOWS 2000 SOFTWARE (i dont like XP) Last nite........but this hasnt helped.

ANY ADVISE.........PLEASE HELP.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Check you have all audio codecs updated perhaps & I would definitely suggest using a better encoder than Nero...

The out-of-sync might be due to format conversion during the process [is it set to always give PAL output & you're in a NTSC area ... or vice versa] ??

moving to correct forum

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Or maybe this would happen even if you made a (S)VCD? If the problem happens in any conversion AVI --> MPG, read here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217.
    Just do a check by opening the AVI with VirtualDub. It will give a warning, in this case...

4. expediant

expediant Member

Hi thanks for dropping in. I made a post yesterday and wanted to continue on a new thread as i have some major probs now.

Ok.....i have been ripping avi format movies for sometime now with no problems on nero 6, in PAL format, 16:3 with title menus etc.

The the other day my sound started to not be in sync with the movie.....well after trying varios software packages advised on this site, i am having adsactly the same problem on all software.

To resolve i have even 'again' reformatted my hardrive, and reloaded windows 2000 pro on the NTF particiation.

I then loaded every possible update from microsoft with out any firewalls, spyware etc.

I have then udated my IBM T40 (PentM) software etc.

I then loaded the following software packages and tried to rip my AVi movies:

Nero 6 Ultra
    VSO DIVx - DVD converter
    Aare AVi - DVD converter

But the sound is still out of sync on all of the packages.....YET.....they all play fine on windows mediplayer 9 in AVi format.

I have also tried to use TMPGEnc but, this tells me my Mpeg files are not the correct format and wont accept the files.

Can somebody please please help me....i just dont understand why i am having this problem....i having been ripping AVi movies for months with no probs and now i am stumpt as to what i am doing wrong.

5. ndoab

ndoab Member

Hey guys
    I am just posting a quick one. I am having the exact probs as expediant.
    Going a bit further I have upgraded my firm ware on my LG burner (although I am dead sure it is not the burner).
    I am running win 2000 and using Nero 6 and have also used Intervideo DVD creator 2. I am getting the same audio synch probs as per expediant.
    So far I have downloaded a few tv series. 1 series has no probs with sync where as the other 2 I am trying to put on DVD have the same lip synch prob.
    I have updated to the latest Nero 6 upgrades but still no change. I got my mate to try to burn the same avi's on his machine and they came out fine. He runs an XP Pro sys. I am also trying a laptop of mine (XP Home) with an external dvd burner to see if this will do it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh yeah the lip synch is fine for about the first ten mins and then just falls about 1-3 secs behind.

Cheers :)

6. jparx

jparx Member

I have been having the sync problem also. I am using Smartripper 2.4, DVD2AVI 1.77.3, TMPGENC 2.521.58.169,TMPGENC DVD Author 1.5.20.62 and burning with Nero Ultra 6.6.0.8.

I use TMPGEnc to encode the mpeg1 file at 352X240 and adjust the black edges that always appear and the sound at 48khz, 224 bit rate in stereo. I also increase the voume by 400%. because the audio is always to low if I don't do this. .

I just upgraded to a Pentium4 3.0 and have lots of hardrive space and 1gb of RAM.

It doesn't happen every time but just enough to be annoying. I do nothing else on the computer when I process the .vob files so that is not the problem.

Any ideas?

jparx