1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio quality in capture with ATI All-in-Wonder PCI 128

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by qbfine, Jul 30, 2002.

1. qbfine

qbfine Member

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder PCI 128 video capture card and am running Win2K. I just moved the card from a PIII-600 (Intel 810 chipset, Intel MB, on-board audio) to a P4-2.26GHz (Intel 850E chipset, Asus P4T533C MB, on-board audio is AC97 audio). In the PIII, I had a problem with dropping frames but the audio portion always seemed clear and crisp. The new machine doesn't cause any dropped frames but the audio sounds 'fuzzy' even when using the highest quality sound settings. I have tried a cable from CD-OUT on the ATI card to AUX IN on the MB and I have tried an external cable out from the ATI card to Line-In on the sound card. On the previous machine, I had to use the external method. I cannot figure out why the sound is bad. In your epinions, will addition of a sound card such as the Sound Blaster 512 PCI card help or is the problem in the ATI card? Incidentally, I am capturing from the cable TV input and the sound is very good if I am listening to the live broadcast.

2. xlt4

xlt4 Member

I have the same problem with my ATI TV Wonder card. I am running Windows XP on Intel P4 1.9 Ghz machine with ASUS P4S333 motherboard with onboard audio. I had a TV Wonder VE card and it worked fine. When I upgraded to the new card I started getting the noise on the audio when recording. Same problem whether recording from TV or Video in. Sound quality is fine with live viewing, only recording has the problem. I have tried all the different quality settings to no avail. I also tried changing from Line In to Aux In for sound input. I tried downloading the new beta MMC 7.6 version and same problem. Anybody have any ideas?

3. qbfine

qbfine Member

I discovered that the Aux volume had been jacked all the way up. Open the Windoze Recording Control dialog (by opening the Volume Control dialog and selecting Options-->Properties-->Recording) and check the setting for Aux (or Line In if that is the selected audio input). When this is cranked all the way up it causes distortion in the audio portion of the capture. After I noticed this, I lowered the Aux setting and then started a capture using PowerVCR II. I noticed that when the capture started, the setting was changed to the maximum again. I played with it a while longer and after setting the value, I didn't see it increased again. I don't know in what cases the setting is changed but this was the cause of the distorted audio.

4. xlt4

xlt4 Member

I tried lowering the recording volume as you stated and the background noise is still there. I am using the digital VCR built in to ATI.