1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio question!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sadsac, Feb 22, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok, i kinda figure thats how it would work. I get the 5.1 sound but when i change the audio over to dts i do not get anything out of the speakers. Puzzles me.

Thanks for the response

2. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

In a properly set up system (I have 7.1/front spks/center/side spks/rear spks)DTS is much better than Dolby Digital. The sound is much cleaner, and the center speaker is really enhanced. Best of all, you'd better have a great sub-woofer. I've known some friends to blow out their subs with a monster DTS sound track. I know, I have 35 movies with the DTS sountrack.

DTS is standard on most Receivers and DVD players. Listen and hear the difference. The DTS soundtrack doesn't have to be the over-the-top action movie for it to sound wonderful.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

There goes the vacation money and little Bobby doesn't get his braces. But then we don't need the vacation this year and little Bobby can watch the movies in the dark. So no one will see his teeth. Hmmm... Yep, granma's operation will have to wait to. Gotta have that DTS sound. LOL In reality it isn't that steep. But, if you don't already have a decent speaker system, getting everything needed will set one back several hundred dollars. And what is surround sound without a big screen. More bucks. So, for DTS to be worthwhile, you're looking at a high dollar entertainment center.

4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

We just had our house built last year. I'm still trying to get my wife to allow me to put up satellite surround speakers on the walls. No luck yet. I guess I'll have to finish off some of the basement and build a theater room.

5. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Without a proper surround sound set up, you are missing the the total experience that matches the sound with the movie. Surround sound makes the movie.

6. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Would you still hear audio if you select the dts audio channel? I had selected the 5.1 audio and i still heard the sound? I know it wont be true 5.1 or true dts..however this is just for testing purposes.

Thanks for the help and reply.

7. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

whatever sound format you select, that's the sound you'll get.

8. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I am not able to hear the dts sound from my computer? Any possible suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Take out your ear plugs!!! LOL

You should be able to hear it. Of course not in DTS format, but you should hear it just the same. Hmmmmm?

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

I can't hear DTS on my computer because it doesn't support it. The AC3 5.1 works fine. There may be some sound cards that support DTS, but I'm not sure. To hear DTS I have to connect my DVD player to my receiver/amplifier through a digital cable. I believe the sound is a little cleaner, but there's nothing on it that's not on the AC3 5.1 audio. I doubt you could tell any difference if it would play on your computer unless you really had a super computer sound system. I have 5.1 speakers on my computer and the AC3 5.1 sounds pretty good. I don't really care to watch movies on my computer anyhow. Since thw DTS audio takes so much room on the DVD it's sort of a moot point for me since I rarely include it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  11. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I have a cable called spdif..is this the audio digital cable? I tried connecting to my surround sound receiver and it didnt detect. I wonder if theres a way to change somewhere on the computer but i look and nowhere..

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer file format. It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) machine or audio processing device. It allows the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion to and from an analog format, which could degrade the signal quality.
    The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical connector is also sometimes used.

If you go to "Control Panel" and open your "Sound and multimedia Device" icon there is a box there that should have a check in it to enable digital audio..

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

BBmayo, thanks for your response, i did find the spdif settings however there were only two options ac3 and ac3 pcm (i think) they only allowed me to put check marks in there to turn them on. I connected to my 7.1 receiver and the receiver did pick up the signal. But the receiver was in pcm mode??? I previewed the movie in dvd shrink and the movie was a 5.1 movie, do you have any clue of why this would happen.?

Thanks for your help and responses.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Go to "Sound and Audio Devices"
    Click on "Advanced" under speaker settings the one at the bottom
    Under speaker setup choose "7.1 Home theater"

15. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Thanks for the quick response...i had tried this earlier but no luck...but i deff. will give it a try when i get home and i will post back later..

Thanks again..

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What kind of sound card do you have in your system?

17. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Soundmax intergrated digtal audio

I am working from a laptop..could this be the prob? But the laptop did come with that plug

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I don't know? What is the brand and model of your lap top? Could be digital sound card but maybe not 7.1 CH ?

19. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Yes i had tried it again..connected everything and confirmed that the ac3 spdif option was check...but it still plays in pcm mode..I think there may be a setting somewhere else..
    Thanks for the help.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

From Karnak's jar... (hey BB)

http://www.soundmax.com/technology/index.html

Soundmax isn't a card but a controller for MoBo sound control, (integrated). It is intended for 5.1 surround.
    It doesn't appear to be setup for DTS or 7.1 sound and the output is optional. So, it would be best to check with Soundmax support or the PC support to see what is actually available on the system in question. Appears 7.1 sound wasn't even mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005