1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiobook formats on What.CD and ripping - help!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mandarinka, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mandarinka

mandarinka Member

Hi all! I became a member of What.CD and as you probably know it's not easy to get a good ratio there, and they are very strict with what you may upload. Since I have no unique music content I thought I'd upload my audiobook collection. I was a member of Audible for several years and have plenty of ripped material from there.

The problem is, I ripped everything to 48 kbps m4b files which in my opinion is the optimal format for audiobooks.

But What.CD accepts only flac mp3 and aac !

So what should I do?

Of course, I could convert everything to mp3 but I use very long files. A book that is 12 hour long would then consist of two six hour mp3. Very odd, I think!
    What do you think?

Or is .aac the best choice? I don't know anything about aac. Is it perhaps eaiser to convert from .m4b to .aac than to mp3. What are the pros and cons of aac?

What would you recommend me to do? I don't have the original .aa files anymore - no need to hang on to them after a successful rip.

Advice gratefully recieved! Hope you can think of what would be the best option.

2. coachop

coachop Member

All players can play Mp3 files. They are best even if they are long just don't rencode your files at a higher bitrate 48kbps is an excellent bitrate no matter what anyone says these are voice not music. I use Format Factory to convert file formats. It's free & fast.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I concur. Actually 8 KB is FINE for voice. A high female voice is 2 only kHz. 40 KB is good for about 10 kHz. I keep my audio books at 40 just because my mp3 encoders do not do well below that. AAC is supposed to do better in the low fidelity range but some of my devices will not play AAC so I avoid it. You can keep the 8 hr tracks in any format so do not worry about the size.