1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-restart and boot to Windows Recovery --Do I have a bad hard drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by josiepop, Dec 15, 2009.

1. josiepop

josiepop Member

On a Gateway laptop with Vista Home Premium, SP1, the computer only boots to the Windows Error screen (may be caused by hardware/software change, etc.). I have tried using the options with F8, such as last known good configuration, safe mode, boot logging, everything. I even tried to disable auto restart. No matter what, when it goes to load, it just restarts and goes back to the Windows Error screen. On this screen, I have the options to repair or boot normally. Either of those options also just take me to a restart.

Through a ton of googling, I have tried several different options. I downloaded the Windows Recovery disk, burned it, and booted to it with success. However, it doesn't show any installations when the recovery center opens up. If I hit Load Drivers, it asks for a specific file (I don't know what to choose). If I hit "Next", I can do a startup repair scan, and that's it. System Restore tells me that I must specify which installation I would like to restore, and I can't do anything else from that screen. Windows Complete PC Restore tells me that no valid backup locations could be found. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools tells me that a problem is preventing Windows from checking memory problems during startup.

So I tried Command Prompt, using the /bootrec command:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuild BCD

bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot both tell me the device is not ready.

bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me that there are 0 identified Windows installations.
    bootrec /rebuild BCD gives me a menu of options.

The only luck I've had so far is the Startup Repair scan, which gives me this error:

StartupRepairV2 and problem signature 06: no hard drive

So does that mean the hard drive is dead? Obviously, I see what it's saying, but I didn't know if that is a definite sign or if there is another problem I could try to take a shot at fixing.

Thanks so much for reading all of these jumbled explanations. I appreciate your help!!

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

Whenever you have a problem where the computer won't bootup properly and you didn't add any new software or hardware (that might be the cause of your problem). It is always best to suspect that your computer suffered an abnormal shutdown. This might have corrupted your system files.
    One symptom of this is when your hard drive is not recognized or you get "windows installations not found". Also if you do get to see your hard drive it will show up as "raw".
    To fix this, bootup with your bootcd and try and run a chkdsk c: /f from the command prompt. This will fix corrupt system files almost every time. The fixmbr/fixboots/rebuild bcd won't fix a corrupt hard drive, but luckily those repairs won't make your problem worst.

It looks like your hard drive is still good because it is attempting to bootup but then cannot find the startup files and hangs.

Many people give up to quick on trying to repair this fairly easy to fix problem. Just make sure you can get a chkdsk run completely, also there is a scandisk (with boxes to fix errors checked) that can used. Worst case scenario, you can use "testdisk" it's a free software that can run more intensive repairs on a corrupt drive (and can also recover data with the photorec addon).

3. josiepop

josiepop Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

When I type "chkdsk c: /f", I get "Cannot open volume for direct access"

When I am in Command Prompt, I see "X:/Sources>". I know X is my CD drive, because I am booting from the recovery disk. Does this make a difference when running chkdsk?

Thank you again for your help.

4. josiepop

josiepop Member

I used "cd" to switch to just X:\, and when I ran chkdsk, here are a few of the things I got:

Type of file system is NTFS
    Volume in use by another process
    Volume label is boot
    WARNING! f parameter not specified, running in read only mode

0 files processed

Checked the file system and found no problem

Failed to transfer logged messages

chkdsk c: /f says cannot open volume for direct access

5. josiepop

josiepop Member

Anyone? Bueller? :)

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

Is the hard drive encrypted? that might be the reason why it won't run the chkdsk.

It is strange that it won't run a chkdsk from the bootcd, there shouldn't be any process locking the drive.

If you can make a vistape bootcd, that would be even more useful to try and get a chkdsk to run or even a scandisk.

Something else more complicated is to remoove the drive and "piggyback" it onto a working computer or temporary install it on a usb enclosure. From this location you can run a scandisk (with the boxes to fix errors checked) this is the same as doing a chkdsk. If you do install the drive somewhere else and you get errors that the "drive is not formatted"/"not recognized"/"raw" that is a good symptom that the drive is corrupted.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

I would prefer to run the chkdsk when the drive is in the computer but you sometimes have to use alternative methods. But you need to try to get a good chkdsk run on your drive to rule corruption as your problem. The chkdsk is a quickfix, every other repair is more complicated.

Was there any software or hardware recently installed prior to this problem?

7. josiepop

josiepop Member

I have no idea what was installed. I just got the laptop and have been trying to fix it without ever even knowing what happened to ruin it. I'm not sure if the hard drive is encrypted or not.

Thank you for your help. This has been very frustrating. I am going to work on the vistape bootcd that you suggested, since the piggybacking really isn't an option for me right now.

Is it correct that I am running chkdsk from the boot CD that I've made and that the directory listed on the command prompt is listed as my CD ROM drive? I just didn't know if C:/ should be up on command prompt when I try to run it.

8. jony218

jony218 Guest

On the command prompt, you only need to type the chkdsk c: /f . Once you get a command prompt on the screen, it will let you run commands on any drives present.