1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

automatic updates

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ganja66, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ganja66

ganja66 Member

Hi i am using xp. I keep getting a message in the tray that says my automatic updates from windows are turned off. When i try to turn automatic updates on through my security center i get a message that says security center can not adjust my settings and to open automatic updates in the control panel. When i do this i find automatic updates are turned on. How do i fix this so i can get automatic updates. i am sure i am not getting any updates at all.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Just try to do a manual update. Not that hard to do, not that hard to remember to do.

Personally, I do not use automatic updates on my XP system. I do not trust them or "Uncle Bill" Gates. Installed an update once that totally gummed up my system (do not remember which one now). Had to remove it. If automatic updates had slipped it in while I was not looking, would not have known right away what to look for.

That is why I choose to update manually. I want to control my system, not give it up to anyone else claiming to be ever so kind.

3. DawnnaD

DawnnaD Member

Well. I agree rulisky. since when I started using a computer may be 6 years ago, I never turn on auto updates because many times it shows firewall is not active or updates are ready to install but when you click on trey icon then you can see there is no as such updates available. Instead this I use a manual updates and whenever I require to update my softwares then I turn on the updates and get an updates at one time.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. ganja66

ganja66 Member

Thanks for the help . I had a bit of a search and i am not sure on what updates i should be downloading. Can you direct me to a page that i can download updates from. Also if the proccess for installing manual updates is different from automatic ones can you xplain to me how to install them.

5. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Click on the your "start" button. You should find a link called "microsoft update". Go there and follow the on screen instructions. The MS site will show you which updates are high priority and which are optional.