1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV and malware

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dolphin2, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Any recommendations for Anti-Virus and spyware programs for Linux Debian based Kanotix?

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

there is no real need for them from what i hav heard, only a firewall.

i think there is less than 5 viruses out there made or linux and its hard to catch them.

i think the most important thing is the firewall, but i use windows on then et so...

BUMP!!!

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Kanotix comes with a firewall script. Very easy to use and set up. So I'm behind that and a router.

Spyware is a concern.

Anti-Virus, I heard F-Prod is a good one. But I know there are others. Just wanted opinions.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

AVG Free for linux works but it's only in RPM packages (pain in the a$$)
    Didn't install properly and left me with a trial server version..there was no registration code sent and the GUI needs the full python setup installed. Not recommended on debian.

Try this http://www.howtoforge.com/scan_linux_for_rootkits

I ran it and came up with these... I'm running FTP servers so the eth1 is ok, as far as I can tell anyway. The root log is interesting.. Any ideas?

Checking `lkm'... chkproc: nothing detected
    Checking `rexedcs'... not found
    Checking `sniffer'... eth0: not promisc and no PF_PACKET sockets
    eth1: PF_PACKET(/sbin/dhclient)
    Checking `w55808'... not infected
    Checking `wted'... chkwtmp: nothing deleted
    Checking `scalper'... not infected
    Checking `slapper'... not infected
    Checking `z2'... user root deleted or never logged from lastlog!
    Checking `chkutmp'... chkutmp: nothing deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2006
  5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

From the link you gave me, it shows the log files saying not infected for all the scan points. Did you try any of the other apps from that link? There is some more security stuff built into the 2.1 Alpha version. Did you upgrade as yet? If so, go into the VideoLinux Control and click on the Security on the left.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Not running videolinux on this machine. This is my main debian box..

There's no way I'm running an alpha distro on my main terminal, I rootkitted the videolinux in 25 seconds straight through the firewall on my network..Gaping hole!!.. can execute scripts from /var/tmp. That's the obvious one but there are others. It's going to take a fair bit of work to harden it enough for my purposes.
    I haven't had time to get the 2.1 yet and don't have a spare machine with enough ram to make it worthwhile.
    It looks nice but just not tough enough and not the features I need, plus I really dislike KDE. :(

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Found out that the VideoLinux is based upon PCLinuxOS (which is Mandrake).

@janrocks
    Why the hatered of KDE?

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

KDE.. I just don't like the way it's laid out. Confusing menus. It just seems to be all over the place. Maybe it's just that I have got used to gnome, but I can never seem to find what I want quickly and end up rooting around for ages looking for an app.
    The K3b in videolinux works really well, far better than on my debian.

I need a registration number for AVG free.. I didn't get one on install and it's left me with a trial version of server which I can't update. Any ideas, or should I just try installing it again?

9. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I've tried the k3b also and found it really works well. So does the k9Copy.

I think the only free versions of AVG are personal ones. The server versions require registration (pay). Here's a link to the download free versions, if you need it. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

I kinda like the KDE, but like you, I haven't played with gnome.

BTW> I ordered the 2 DVD set of Debian rather than download it. So I might be asking for some set-up help. :)

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hi.. That's the one I downloaded. It's probably because I had to convert it to a .deb package from the hateful rpm. I'll try another install and see if it wants to work for me now I know a bit more about package formats.

Know of any other free antivirus apps?

I'm here for help with debian install..it's really easy, but it has a few funny things that seem a little strange. Haven't seen the dvd installers. I just used the first cd and then updated everything online.

11. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

From what I've been reading F-Prot is the best for Linux.
    http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/

Bit Defender is also free:http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Download-Free-Products.html

So is Panda:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Download-Free-Products.html

-----------

I found a web site that has a "walk-thru" of the Debian install process. It does seem that there is more on installation that needs to be manually set-up than other distros. I'm still a n00b (at least I consider myself one) with Linux and hope I don't get confused! I would think the DVD install would be the same as the CD. But then, what do I know! Ha, ha.

------

Edit: Got a DVD of Fedora 5 f Core. Know anything about it? I know it's Red Hat and stable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2006
  12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Gave up with redhat back in 5 or 6 days.. very good and stable but too much like "pay for everything" I don't support the ratrace if I can help it.
    Thanks for the av links. I'll have a look at them tomorrow when i have some time to mess with stuff. I had to use alien to convert the rpm to .deb so maybe that screwed it up.

13. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Your welcome. That's what friends do, help each other.

Fedora messed up my MBR. Tried to install. Everything seemed to be OK, until I rebooted. Wouldn't boot at all. Nothing. Computer only showed the initial motherboard screen and froze. I turned it off and waited a bit. Booted but still showed the PCLinuxOS loader. Wouldn't boot into it but would Windows. Re-installed PCLinuxOS and everything is fine now. Strange. Anything like that ever happen to you?

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yeah it happens all the time. What happens is the /home partition tends to survive reinstall even if formatted and that contains things like the xconfig settings amongst other things. What I tend to do is partition differently again every time and that seems to work fine.
    It's why I stick with debian..my /home drive has been taken across 4 different OS's without being set up again. Don't want to lose everything on the main beastie every time I change something. Boots to an xorg eror of some kind and I have lost the scroll wheel on my mouse but that's only a minor annoyance. Don't have time to mess about trying to find where the problem is with that.. worked one day and then not the next or ever again.

15. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Have you learned how to remaster? That would solve a lot of problems.

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Remaster..no need. My OS is on a seperate drive from my /home partition so I just change the OS when i feel like something new. I don't set it up like most people do.. I put it up more like a server because that's what I know.

17. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I wish I had you knowledge. :)

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just stumbled on this one - try freshclam, we even use that in our Production RedHat machines, i use it on all mine

19. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thanks creaky.. I'll check that out as soon as I get home. My need is becoming extreme with the uptime I'm at now.

My current setup is picofirewall and a rootkit scanner. I checked out the logs and the listed detection is just my dhcp client for my personal internet connection. No worries there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

no worries, i've refound my interest in Linux so am hanging out in these Linux forums more :)

just bought 3 P3 PC's today off eBay purely as extra machines for different distro's, whether i'll use them all the time is another matter :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006