1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV420 issues....

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Simkin777, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Simkin777

Simkin777 Member

Hello there. I just got an av420 and have found a few issues. When I capture video from the dvd players(have used two diff ones to see if problem is with all or not)directly to the 420 I notice upon playback there are blue and red lines that will appear at odd times in the movie. About every 10 min or so and it will stay on screen for about 5 seconds then go away for a while. When I capture from the cable box, a tv show or the like it is fine. With the dvd's I have tried 5 diff ones and all in different settings. some on the best and some on the worst. These splotches of color show up on all of them. What do you think? Anyone else havign this same issue? Or is this a problem with mine alone? Thanks so much....

2. chajo

chajo Member

Hi,

I am having this problem too. I don't know if you have gotten any help with this since you originally posted, but I thought I would bring it back and see if we could get some help. I actually posted in the other "DVDs to my Archos AV480" thread, so I hope I'm not being redundant, but this is a very annoying problem. It mainly happens to me when I record cartoons onto it (Family Guy, South Park, etc).

3. plumeria1

plumeria1 Member

Hi,

Make that three of us!!! I posted this elsewhere on the site on the 12th Jan! I have an AV480. These lines look sort of like pixelation from about 1cm to 1in across. I thought maybe it was to do with copyright protection but I have tried recording from the TV, satellite receiver and DVD player and got it on all of them (there's no copyright protection on the TV)...and I've had three different Archos AV480 machines to see if it was a faulty one! The only way I can playback video is to drag/drop and AVI file from my laptop. I wondered if it was anything to do with the way the Archos machine compresses the file as it records it to the hard drive.
    Let's hope someone has a solution to this problem.

4. chajo

chajo Member

Hi there plumeria,

Since I posted my problem, I have come up with a solution (unfortunately it costs a little). I decided that the problem DOES have to do with the way in which the Archos compresses.

Now, for me, the problem was never that severe. When I recorded straight from the DVD player, pixelation was there mainly on cartoons, and even then it wasn't that bad. Recording TV, there is no pixelation, although the video tends to get dark after a while (different problem though :)) Anyway, recording regular movies had virtually no pixelation either..just cartoons. This made me feel a bit better because I can live with it just happening on cartoons. So..to my "solution"

I found a program called "magicdvdripper" which can be found at www.magicdvdripper.com. This allows you to rip all DVD's (copyright protected or not) straight onto your computer (or your archos if you wish). I found that this dramatically increased the quality..and resulted in no pixelation. You can also get a much lower file size with a the higher quality. This obviously won't fix in TV recording problems, but for DVD's it cleared my problems right up. Now there is no more pixelation in anything!

Unfortunately, this program (and others like it) will run you $30, but I thought it was a fair price for a very easy to use ripper that gets around all copy protection all in one step.

Sorry for the non-technical advice, but hopefully some people will find this useful.

PS. You can use magicdvdripper up to 5 times free of charge before buying it...so try it and see if you like it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  5. plumeria1

plumeria1 Member

Thanks for the advice!

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I have an Archos AV420 and have had absolutely no problems capturing straight onto the unit.

What exactly does magic DVD ripper do? Does it convert the DVD to DivX? If that is the case there are many other programs available too... Why not try the DivX site (www.divx.com)

7. chajo

chajo Member

I looked around the Divx site, and the only thing that I found similar to magicdvdripper was Dr. Divx. Maybe there are some other programs that you found on the site, but that was the only DVD ripper I saw. Anyway, magicdvdripper costs 30 bucks as well, it is really easy, and works great. You can rip any copy protected DVD (or non-protected of course) into Divx, SVCD, or VCD. For amateurs like me who just want to get some movies on their Archos, I highly recommend this.