1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avg FREE

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rtrg, Mar 22, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

This is an open letter to newbies like me who had trouble with updating/activating avg FREE. I have 6 towers. Every time I have reloaded the OS, and then set up the desktop, AVG has always downloaded/installed/updated automaticaly. This time it did not update. "INVALID UPDATE FILE" multiple times. I wrote AVG to complain. The issue is to change your WINDOWS FIREWALL to "ANTI VIRUS NOT MONITORED". This will allow the update to function. I feel like such a dummy because this is the first time I came across this immediately after an OS reload/upgrade. Also I recommend running a scan immediately to avoid the annoying POSTPONE box. This same issue might prevent programs from downloading as well. I would check the firewall settings immediately after the reload. Lets you keep whatever hair you have left.

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I like Avira free better but thats not the point. Thanks for the advice I guess?