1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVG Virus program help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mrlewp, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Update using internet option doesnt work, so only way I can find new virus patterns is via "Version Tracker" subscription. Cant even find new virus patterns at AVG's website for the FREE version.
    So now that I have the newest pattern file, I put it in the Update folder...but program never displays latest virus pattern when I run it.
    This program received 5/5 ratings from users. No help is offered online for free version, other than .exe
    updates, and FAQ section.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

How is the update not working? Will it connect at all? I just used the update function on mine, it connected alright and said my files were up to date.

3. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I try "Update Now" and nothing happens. Update tabs do not specify "virus" patterns by the way. I do find virus update option by choosing "Run AVG Anti-Virus"
    then under Services , Update. Chossing Internet does
    nothing, and going to folder where I placed new virus patterns gives message like "No update files..." or the like, as if it were only looking for program files to update??

4. Nephilim

Are you running the free or pay version?

Have you tried reinstalling it to see if that helps?

5. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Stated above...free version. Here's whats in the "update" program folder. "u611s6ig.bin", which at 174kb I think was the free program version update file. VIRUS files are the problem. There's 3, the latest being "u612m9jc.bin". How do I get AVG app. to recognize the new pattern file? When I choose UPDATE, Internet option does nothing , and FOLDER option pops up a message saying there is no update file to be found.Information tab still states Virus Database as #406.?

6. Nephilim

Did uninstall/reinstalling it help any? Could be something got boogered up and reinstalling would fix it.

7. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Found this info at a software site's review postings on AVG. Tried and worked, after several false starts,
    such as "timeouts"?? when trying to download?

Copy the following and paste into notepad and save it as url.ini. Put this new file into your AVG install directory. You'll now have 3 options to select from with www.grisoft.com being the default.

[SERVER_NAME]
    1=free.grisoft.cz
    2=ftp.grisoft.com
    3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
    1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
    2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
    3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
    Actual URL=3

link follows;
    http://www.sofotex.com/cgi-bin/ls/reviews.cgi?ID=21&nh=2

8. Nephilim