1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI 2 MPEG 2 VCD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by SCSA, Feb 26, 2003.

1. SCSA

SCSA Member

I just recentally re-formatted my machine. Before I was able to preview .dat files from Kazaa & turn them into VCD files no problems. But now nothing will work. AVI Preview will not preview them, its displaying the message which says its a file not reconized. TMPGEnc, does not change them it says, file format unknown. And now i'm running out of ideas. Please help.

2. Sefy

Sefy Guest

You are simply missing the Codecs to playback those files, i'm guessing either DivX or XviD

3. SCSA

SCSA Member

I've tried loads of different codecs, mentioned on this site and others. I have also tried DivX & XviD, but it still does not work.

4. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Here's an idea, it always works for me, so it should work for you, get the codecs I specify, and install in the SAME order I write them here! of course I suggest you uninstall anything you have now, especialy NIMO if it's installed!

- Kristal Studio Codec Pack v4.33
    - DivX v5.0.3 Video Bundle
    - XviD v0.9.1 Codec

I can 99% guarntee that if you install just those, all movies should play just fine!

5. SCSA

SCSA Member

The Kristal Studio Codec Pack, would not install. It came up with'Installation Failed.' Could this have anything to do with Windows XP? Or is it just a bad installation?

6. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Sounds more like a bad installation, i've already installed it on Windows XP

7. SCSA

SCSA Member

I found The Kristal Studio Codec Pack really difficult to find online. Where did you get your copy from?

8. Sefy

Sefy Guest

9. SCSA

SCSA Member

Sefy,

I've got the programs, how do I run & install XviD v0.9.1 Codec (does this go in the DivX dir.) Then what do I have to do to be able to convert AVI files to VCD? And can you create wave files using this program? Otherwise the sound is out of sync.

10. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Before you start, just make sure you uninstall ALL your previous codecs, then install those i've mentioned in the same order I wrote them!

Each of the programs, should have it's own installer, just let it use the default settings.

When you are done, your AVI should play correctly! if it does not, then the codecs did not install correctly.

If the movie plays ok now, then simply load the AVI in VirtualDub and goto the Audio menu and select Full Processing, and then go to File and select Save WAV, this will make a new WAV file from your AVI.

When done, open TMPGEnc, I suggest you use the Wizard (CTRL-W) and for the Video select the regular AVI but for the Audio select the new WAV file and when you encode, your movie should have Sound and in Sync.

11. SCSA

SCSA Member

Cheers Sefy it all works fine now.

Thanks.

12. sharkTECH

sharkTECH Guest

guys do you know where i can get the xvids as an installer as the xvid website only posts code now

cheers

13. Sefy

Sefy Guest

I've used Google to find it, just search for "XviD 0.9.1" and you should come out with good results.

14. sharkTECH

sharkTECH Guest

tried that last night the only one i could find was just the source code, unless you know what to use to compile the code im up s**t creek without a paddle

cheers sefy for the help

15. SCSA

SCSA Member

Hey it's me again. I have just got a copy of easy video splitter (the full version.) So I thought yes I can finally burn this AVI file to disc. But it does 12 little blue things, then the program just crashes. I have re-starte & re-installed about 10 times, and it still does it. Please help.

16. Sefy

Sefy Guest

17. SCSA

SCSA Member

Well this program allows you to split a AVI file into two AVI files. For example if you had a file that was 1.GB & you wanted to burn it on to a 700MB cd, you would spli the file in to two, & use two cd's.

18. SCSA

SCSA Member

Oh yeah & sharkTECH try this website, as this is where I downloaded the XviD: installer.http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=XviD_Install.exe
    Then try each link until you find one that works.

19. sharkTECH

sharkTECH Guest

cheers sefy much appreciated

20. sharkTECH

sharkTECH Guest

scsa, why dont you use tmpgnec to split the file into 2 thats how i do it, tmpgnec even lets you encode avi files once youve encoded the file then use the merge & cut option to split it