1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi 2 Vcd & keepin Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AlanTiger, May 13, 2004.

1. AlanTiger

AlanTiger Member

I probely over looked the answer and I apologze if thats tru,Im using Mainconcept right now, but when i try to convert a widescreen vid it converts to fullscreen, and stretches the file picture and make everything look taller, what can i use to keep the aspect ratio correct, I think what I need to do is add black borders to the file in order to keep the aspect butdont know how to do it, Quality is not my #1 concern, just watchability without worring about artifacts and blurryness
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beaming down to a Jungle near you......[/small]

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  2. brettski

brettski Member

To be honest the most accurate way is to frameserve your video file to MainConcept to maintain aspect. There are lots of tutorials on Frameserving via "Google" - you can use VirtualDub or simple programs like FitCd or MovieStacker. They all require "AviSynth" be installed first. But if you don't want to frameserve, this is the method I have found to work for SVCD. It involves math and is approximate only.
    In MainConcept you go "Details" > "Crop & Scale" and change the "Height" to answer you get from the following equations:

For Letterboxed SVCD NTSC:

Calculated Height = [(720 pixels divided by Pixels X) times Pixel Y] divided by 11/10

Therefore for example if your original .avi file is 576 by 320. your calculated height would be [(720 divided by 576) times 320] divided by (11/10) or [(1.25) times 320] divided by 1.1 or [400] divided by 1.1 or 364.
    So for your new calculated height in MainConcept you would use 364. So you click on "Details" > "Crop & Scale" and change "Height" to 364. The "Width" should remain 480 and both "Centre"s should remain 240. Make sure that the "Keep proportions" box is UNchecked.

For letterboxed SVCD PAL:

Calculated Height = [(720/Pixels_X) x Pixels_Y] divided by (54/59)

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  3. AlanTiger

AlanTiger Member

Thanks for the reply, ill try it out and get back to you on it as soon as i get a chance, ill be bsy with a few other projects for the next few days