1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi and .ssa joined....but won't play in WMP10

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by meercat, Feb 16, 2006.

1. meercat

meercat Member

Hello,

I was able to join both the video file and subtitle together using avi-MUX. This plays perfectly in Windows Classic Player...but I need this joined file to be able to play in Windows Media Player 10 as I use WinAVI video converter (if WMP can't recognise the file, it won't convert it).

The weird thing is that when I try to play the file in WMP - it says I am missing a codec/s. Someone told me that the WCP uses the same codecs as WMP...?

I have VobSub, but I noticed that WMP tries to load an Ogg *codec*? as it attempts to open my joined file.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

meercat

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Windows Classic Player? You mean Media Player Classic? It has several built in decoders/filters such as an avi splitter and subtitle renderer as well as several audio decoders like AC3.

MS' avi splitter supports subtitles fine, so as long as you have directvobsub (VSFilter.dll) installed and a video decoder for the video stream, you should get subs.

I'd suggest that Graphedit would be more usefull than WMP for diagnosing problems with dshow.

Not sure the point of muxing the subs though. If you are just converting, then an external sub would work just as well and save time or you could frameserve with AVISynth and use textsub (also part of VSFilter).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  3. meercat

meercat Member

Thanks for you reply, yes I meant Media Player Classic...sorry about the confusion!
    I think I may be going about this the wrong way...I am new to this :p

I found Graphedit but I cannot find a guide on how to use it.???

I would like to know what codecs I am missing for subtitles - I have ACe mega codec pack but I have no idea which ones to download for this conversion.

My XP Video Decoder Checkup says I have:
    Nero DVD Decoder
    Nero Video Decoder
    Cyberlink MPEG Video Decoder
    ZJSoft MPeg2Decoder Filter
    Cyberlink PP Video/SP Decoder

The only one it likes (compatible green tick) is the Cyberlink PP Video/SP Decoder. Which codecs do I need from ACE's pack for subtitles?

Also, I am not sure what you mean - that I can use external subs. Will I have to use a different video converter from Winavi to do this?

cheers,
    meercat

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I mean, make sure that the subtitles have the same name and directvobsub will load them.

Just drag and drop the media file in graphedit. It renders the file and you can see exactly what filters are in your graph. Much more usefull than WMP.

5. meercat

meercat Member

It works!

Thanks again
    meercat

6. PooNugget

PooNugget Member

Hey MeerCat would you mind showing step by step how you joined the files?

7. meercat

meercat Member

Did you want to know how I joined the file using Avi-Mux or using Winavi?

It was my first time using Avi-Mux so I just followed the guide here:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Video-Zeug/AVIMux GUI/en_join_files.html

...but I didn't end up using that joined file to burn anyway because WMP couldn't play it:p

If you wanted to join the .avi and .ssa file using Winavi, just change the .ssa file name to the same as the .avi file, for e.g,

movie1.avi
    movie1.ssa

That worked for me! Hope this helps :D