1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI burning *please read*

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by VONE2004, Jan 26, 2007.

1. VONE2004

VONE2004 Member

Hey all,
    I've got heaps of .avi clips about 350Mbs each. Is it possible to fit more than 2 onto a DVD disc without a huge loss of quality?

Thanks

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

The original file size isn't so much of an issue as the original quality and length of the file. What they'll come out to once encoded to dvd-compliant mpeg will be what decides that. If the files are 1.5 hr movies (or longer) then putting two onto a dvd-video disc will cause quality loss.

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I really really wish people would not put "please read" or HELP!!!!! or stuff like that as subjects. it makes me want to NOT help them.

However I agree with Magnus. It's the length that says how many will fit on a DVD. Those 350 MB avis sure sound like TV series episodes!

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

And if in fact they are low action brightly lit TV shows you can probably pack about 3 hours worth per blank.

5. VONE2004

VONE2004 Member

Sorz bout the *please read*

But yea they are TV episodes and I just wantd to know if it was possible to do so without a dramatic quality loss, rather than having 1 episode per disc

cheers

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Quality loss really depends on what tools you use to re-encode the AVIs to MPEG-2 (in addition to the quality of the original material, of course).

If you use "one-click solutions" like ConvertXtoDVD, the quality is typically lower compared to using "more elegant solution" like CCE (or CCE SP or TMPGEnc). Not necessarily all that much lower, but you have to simply test it yourself to make the decision -- encode one episode with couple of different tools to compare the output to make the decision yourself.