1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi codec probs... i think

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by armadillo, Aug 12, 2003.

1. armadillo

armadillo Guest

Hi im a complete newbie at this so i apologise now. Ive been downloading films etc from kazaa and playing them is normally np. I now have a file that claims to be avi yet isnt recognised by windows player BS player Divx or Real. I have the FourCC and divex codecs but this file still wont play. Any ideas???

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What is the fourcc code of the file, and did you get the info by running the movie through GSPOT? If it is an avi and you have the newest version of the divx codec and it doesnt decode the video then you most likely have an xvid encoded movie.

You will need the xvid codec to view the movie, or you can use the FFdshow filter(recommended) to decode your movie. Note: once you install the ffdshow decoder it will automatically decode divx movies as well so if you prefer the divx codec to decode your divx movies, simply go into the codec options and under supported codecs disable the option that reads Divx5.

3. armadillo

armadillo Guest

I have tried identifying the file with GSpot and it doesnt recognise it. I have the latest DivX and XviD codecs installed but they still dont recognise the file. I have been able to sort out all other file recognition probs except this one.....im thinking its time to hit the delete button lol lol

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If the file had a Four CC code of 0 then its most likely fake...

Too bad.

5. armadillo

armadillo Guest

Thanks anyway

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yeah, nothing like getting a fake file to ruin your day.