1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi conversion speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mjones, May 4, 2004.

1. mjones

mjones Member

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I am new to DVDs, I have always used CD-R.

I am converting 800Mb Avi's to DVD Mpeg-2 using CBR at around 3000.

My PC is new, with 512Mb ram, P4 2.8 HT processor and the conversion is taking around 3 to 3/12 hours per avi.

Is this right?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi mjones
    If your using TMPGEnc encoder,yes that time is nothing to complain about.With that encoder, your looking at usually, 2 hours, for each 1 hour, encoded at the very least.
    Some of the higher end encoders,go at real time or faster,ie.mainconcepts, or cinema craft encoder, to name just a few.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  3. daba

daba Guest

Hi mjones,

The size of the AVI file doesn't help. If it's DV AVI, 800 MB means less than 15 minutes of movie. If it's DivX, it means 2 hours of movie.

What's the length of the movie in your AVI file ?

Daba

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

that makes no sense whatsoever
    15 minutes of movie=wtf
    2 hour of movie=huh
    im confused
    explain pls

5. daba

daba Guest

AVI is not a codec but a container. An AVI file contains some data and also a codec identifier that lets know what codec should be used to decode the data.

If an AVI file is created with a DV AVI codec, it uses 12 GB per hour. So 800 MB contain less than 5 minutes of movie.

If an AVI file is created with a DivX codec, it uses 400 MB per hour (or even less). In that case 800 MB can contain 2 hours of movie.

An MPEG encoder doesn't care of the size of the input file. It cares about the length of the movie to encode, that is, the number of frames to encode. That's why the size of the file doesn't help.

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2004