1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI conversions to DVD.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lat00uk, Apr 7, 2005.

1. lat00uk

lat00uk Member

I NEED HELP!!!.

I am using Nero Vision Express for AVI to DVD conversions and it works brilliantly for me, everything is in sync and the menu works lovely, the only problem I have is that the resolution of the AVI files are 704x396 (1.78:1) [=16:9] (from Gspot) and when I burn to DVDR and play thur DVD player it cuts off either side, top and bottom are fine.

From this I can assume that a normal TV cant display an image/file that is that big across?, what is the biggest resolution that a TV can show?, or what can I use to reduce the res of the AVI files.

Within Vision Express I am leaving all of the settings to default, altho I have tried changing them, but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Any Ideas?.

I also have a load of MKV files, what is the best way to deal with them?, I have thought about just ripping out the video and english audio stream, multiplexing them back together and using Vision Express to DVD them. Anyone know if that would work???.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In NVE, you must tell it the source is (roughly) 16:9, not 4:3.
    I'm not even sure that's possible in NVE, but it should be.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Going back to your 1st question
    It is 'expensive' (in terms of time and of quality, if the settings aren't the best), but you could encode the AVI --> SVCD MPEG-2 first, then put many SVCD movies into a DVD. 'Playing' with the settings you can resize the screen, and so on, you can do that with TMPGenc and probably many others...of course a SVCD is 480x480(576), but you save rrom on the disk and can resize the screen...