1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi/divx stress! help!!!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by maxkd, Jan 4, 2004.

1. maxkd

maxkd Guest

hi ive d.loaded about ten films in avi/divx and cant play a single one,ive installed a sh*load of codecs(uninstalled and re-installed) and all i STILL get is the file playing but a black screen and no sound,surely not all the films are dudds(no good) are they? any help will be most appreciated.

2. tnguy

tnguy Member

AMEN!! Somebody PLEASE answer this question. I have downloaded 5 avi files from kazaa tonight, followed codec instructions from an afterdawn moderator, installed g-spot, dixfix and avifixed and NOTHING has worked. I'm having the exact same problem...black screen, no picture, no sound...but the time/bar is moving as the avi "plays". I've been at this for over 3 hours and I'm going to bed...I'm praying someone will answer by morning so I don't pull my hair out =o) THANKS!

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

4. maxkd

maxkd Guest

No praetor,maxkd is not a fake he asked a valid question which required someone with intelligence to answer it in a knowledgable,and i was obviously not alone with my query as tnguy seems to have the same problem,so rather than mouthing off and slagging off people you know nothing about i suggest you try and actually help newbies such as myself ,and as it is a rather large and might i say excellent website,its easy to miss questions that may have been answered,see we all cant be as clever and as perfect as you obviously are!!.Oh tnguy as much as i hate to say it praetor could be right,kazaa is well dodgy as i downloaded a film from a good source and it played fine(divx) so all 10 films from kazaa were dodgy i though the size and frame rates of the films were strange so beware my friend!!

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

maxkd: where exactly have i slagged off on you?

Where did i call you a fake?

Grow up child. That wasnt called for and you know it. I answered your question and pointed you off in the right direction.

6. tnguy

tnguy Member

Not to get in the middle of this, but I too found your response to his question a little offensive (being a newbie and all). Especially when you referred us to the link where are question was supposed to be answered and we (at least I) had already gone to that string of messages and done exactly what you said to do and it didn't work. I agree, the movies were fakes. I downloaded a different movie that was also an avi and it worked.

Not trying to cause trouble, just saying maybe you should be more patient with newbies. This site rocks and has such great info, I'd hate for someone to get turned off by it because they feel they were given the shaft.

Thanks!

7. maxkd

maxkd Guest

thanks for you back up tnguy.Now.. praetor!! basically there obviously were some wires crossed "maxkd:seems to be a fake to" there lies the problem so i will apologize for reading it incorrectly but im sure you"ll agree how it could be taken if you said "maxkd's were probably fakes too" but heh no harm done i know none of us are that petty to get caught up in this, its just like tnguy said we are newbies willing to learn and dont need patronising in the process so maybe lessons learned allround hopefully!!

8. sstaarzz

sstaarzz Member

Hi
    I have other major DIVX/XVID problems but let me see if I can help you out on the fake AVI files...
    Once they are downloading, you can run a utility called AVI preview. It usually will tell you if the AVI file you are downloading is the "real thing". Go to this site:
    http://www.avipreview.com/avipreview.htm
    and download the file. I hope this helps.