1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi file save/burn problems

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bel76016, May 17, 2006.

1. bel76016

bel76016 Member

I have an avi file that I cannot seem to save to hard drive and then burn to cd, downloaded from limewire and then pulls up in real player and plays but cannot seem to save to drive and then want to burn to cd. How do I do this?

2. guyrus

guyrus Guest

@ bel76016:

can you download avicodec , install it then run it, load your file into it and then copy and paste the properties in your next post or screen capture and paste the image here

guy

3. bel76016

bel76016 Member

thank you will try this and get back with you!

4. guyrus

guyrus Guest

did you need a link for the program

5. bel76016

bel76016 Member

how can i copy print screen in this box for you to see what i need help with? I tried all the normal routes but not working.

6. guyrus

guyrus Guest

hey bel76016,
    try downloading snagit7 , this is a screen capture utility with a trial attached to it.

http://www.techsmith.com/download/snagittrial.asp

Try the tutorial and save your screen .Do you know how to uplaod it to AD via a free web host site

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  7. bel76016

bel76016 Member

ok thanks, will try and let you know, not sure about all of this, its kinda techie and i am kinda not, having to learn by trial and error.

8. guyrus

guyrus Guest

well try that one and if it doesnt work, we can try something else.You dont have to be techi to get this.
    There are 2 trains of thought on this matter, one of them is the easy way, where we just do it a simple way: xvid : to mpeg2 to dvd
    or the other way where you tweak everything to get the best quality, the best sound etc.I'm more concerned with you being able to get your project done, then its up to you how far you want to take it by experimentation.

see how you go

guy

9. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@ bel76016,

The easiest way to find this file is open limewire..look at where your downloaded files are currently going to (possible shared limewire folder)and there is your file. You can copy and paste the file from there so it is on your desktop.

Per the link from imgburn and the power calibration error:

The best way to do this is to http://www.burstcopy.com/dma/xp/ follow the visual guidance in uninstalling your drive that is having the calibration error.

Also your version of nero is a little behind try the following http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/Clean_Tools.html and then re install 6.6.0.18 from here http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe

Package 2
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

use the cleantool first, reboot then install the 2 last updates for nero known to be stable.

Good luck and let us know if you need additional help.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  10. guyrus

guyrus Guest

nice matt but i would like to pose a question to bel76016 with out insulting your intelligence.

Do you actually unstand the paragrah above, as it is very techy

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  11. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@guyrus and bel76016,

To simplify it:

Try another brand of media and slow down burn speed (i.e. not recommended to burn at 16x because your media is 'designed' to do so/ slow down to 4x or 8x to see if you can get a good burn). Updating firmware is to give instructions to your burner on how to read/ write the newer media that has came out. A burner lets say from 2001 may need to be updated from 1.05 to 1.08 to know how deal with media now with 16x burnspeed and original firmware and burner initially dealt with only 4x burnspeed media.

As far as the connections to slaveor master use the link I gave you and follow the step by step w/ visuals to reinstall the drivers for your burner if it slips into pio mode. Please note that after 6 read or burn errors a drive may slip into pio mode which in layman terms is going from usb 2.0 to usb 1.1. If the burner is still not operating as it should be and still under warranty then contact the manufacturer toarrange to have it replaced (check their website to see if they have any updates for your specific burner not found anywhere else prior). Really the only time you need to try the burner in another pc is when the burner is brand new then you can see if the issue is with the install or the burner itself.

P.S. I never take offense I just pass on what I have gotten from others here with more experience. If anyone here was an expert there would be no need for afterdawn :).

12. guyrus

guyrus Guest

matt i know what you mean , i just wanted to make sure that bel76016 is also sure that he/she is also aware.If we take it slow, and go through it thoughly then we can help some one properly with out confusion as per the comment below

so bel76016 are we going slow enough for you to grasp all this

guy

13. bel76016

bel76016 Member

actually, I thank both of you for your info but I am just a beginner who does not even know what kind of movie file to download from lime wire, all i know is that I have this shareware that i have searched for movies that i like and they come up with AVI, MOV, MPEG and then all kinds of other things like DIVX et .... I dont even know what to download, my download took all night on my pc though and i though i was getting 1 movie and ended up getting another. anyways when i went to launch it, it launched on real player b/c media player said does not recognize. so that was cool with me, but i wanted then to burn to cd so could play on my reg tv or dvd player. well that is when i did not know how to do it. First I could not get the file out of my limewire library and into the enque then when i luanched it and it started to play in limewire i could not save it at all. I did however getbox that asked me to download latest codecs and did that so tried again and still could not ssave it. so then that is when i came here. Now this was about 2 weeks ago and now i have tried to see what kind of players i have like real player, media player, and I also have sonic My dvd plus v7 but when this program opens it says my update manager is not working and cannot fix that so cancel out of that about 50 times to finally ge tthe program to open but know nothing about movies downloads. Tried to understand what you were telling me to do but more downloading of of these diff things and not even sure if this was the answer to orginal question i was asking or if i asked the question in the correct way. So i deleted the movie file off my limewire library now and want to start over again by downloading another movie and going from there but kinda wanted to be walked thru the process by copy screen as i run into problems. does this make sense to too much to ask. I really appreciate all the support you are ginving me but i think i need my hand held from the begiining.

14. guyrus

guyrus Guest

ok ,try downloading an avi film.Once you have it complete on your pc you need to convert it to an mpeg2 compatible format and then burn it to dvd with your burning software before it is able to be viewed in your standalone dvd player.

So as we are going to take this slow, download the avi first

Next i want you to go to google and search for avicodec and then download that program and install it on your pc.

Downt worry about using it yet, all will be revealed in time.

I will go as slow as you want, let me know when you have the movie.It doesnt have to be a full movie, you can download a music video in avi format, this is just as good and for a trial run is going to be smaller to download

guy

15. bel76016

bel76016 Member

ok, I downlaoded an avi movie from limewire, last night and when i get home will download the codecs like you suggested and then get back with you then. Thank you so much for all your help!!!!

16. guyrus

guyrus Guest

avicodec is a file analyser, it will

1. give you the file details

2.also tell you the codecs requiresd to play the file.

once you download it, install it and then we are going to take a slight detour and use that program 1st .......if thats ok with you.Slowly but surely, and i mean slowly we will get this done and you then will be able to anything you want.Other people will always venture in and help out , but take it on board and see how you go.Asking questions isnt a problem in this thread so ask away.If i dont know the answer and yes thats very possible , i know people on here who do

guy

17. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

Another suggestion is to download divx play from the software section and the avi will open in media player. Still I suggest when you have limewire open to copy the file to your desktop as your limewire folder is in a weird location on your pc. As guyrus stated I too will try to keep it simple and slow.

18. guyrus

guyrus Guest

awesome matt, i reckon with the both of us we can sort this one.

I'm thinking that we get avicodec working and then load a file into it.GET BEL to copy and paste the file properties in to the next post

2.Afetr that explain the file properties and suggest a suitable encoder to mpeg2

3.Suggest a suitable burning app

4.help with the questions and then burn the project.

If we take it slow , and add the links fro the software, we should be able to get a complete project with all the steps covered but with anything there will be snags but that should be easily overcome

Hope that suits you bel

guy

19. bel76016

bel76016 Member

ok I downloaded AVIcodecs, and found my movie on my hard by doing search and copied to my desktop and then pulled it up in avicodec and this is what it pulled up
    : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\My Music\Underworld Evolution 2006.avi File : 644 MB (644 MB), duration: 1:38:17, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 43 %
    Video : 570 MB, 811 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 576*256 (2.21:1), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported Audio : 74 MB, 105 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported.
    does that help any?

20. guyrus

guyrus Guest

hey bel you found a new tool to play with, cool, and here i thought you told us you were a non techie person.

I dont like mpeg4 generally but its not hard to convert to an mpeg2 compatible format, which in essence is a dvd movie.

Ok i was going to go through avicodec but you beat me to it, well done, if you had clicked the 2nd tab you would of seen all the codecs on your pc

Now can you download a free version of divx to dvd

http://www.filepedia.com/video_software/dvd-r_tools/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

This is going to be the converter we are going to use for this project , there are others but you shouldnt have an issue with this one..........

let us know when you7 have it