1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi file too big for nero vcd

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by imblotto, Jul 21, 2003.

1. imblotto

imblotto Member

I started a file to convert to vcd, and it after it converted, it said it was too big to burn onto a cd. How do I make the file smaller or split it into two?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

When converting, can you not set an output size to be no greater than xxxMB? I thought you could, but to be honest, with a DVD Writer i have had no nead for SVCD for a long time and have probably forgotten.

Chris

3. imblotto

imblotto Member

i have a dvd writer also, could you leave me a link on how to put an avi file on a dvd-r?

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

How big was it? Perhaps it can be overburned? Also realize that VCDs are almost always bigger than 700MB so that isnt a problem. As far as DVDs go I would imagine you would just burn the file as a data-dvd. Of course you may be restricted to a 2GB avi due to AVI limitations or something like that (then again, 2GB avi, properly encoded could be like 4 hours, more even)

5. Donuts

Donuts Guest

I have met a lot of people who think that a VCD is simply a video file on a CD. Do you fall under that catergory?

A VCD is MPEG format.
    A VCD can be played in stand alone players.

You need to encode yuor AVI file into MPEG with something like TMPGEnc, sure Nero can do it too, but I've been told that it gives you worse quality.

Once encoded, the file can split, you can use a "splitter" program to do that.

Alternatively, you can get a video editing program such as Cyberlink Power Director, import your AVI file, split it using to program(according to time filesize will change) and encode it in the split up segments.

Power Director can even burn it to CD for you.

You should also find out how much time VCDs and SVCDs can hold on a single CD.

I recomend the second method

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I am aware of the difference between a DATA cd and a (S)VCD. Read his post:

7. Donuts

Donuts Guest

Praetor, the first paragraph of my previous post was mainly aimed at imblotto.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2003