1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi file too big

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amrit01, Aug 21, 2004.

1. amrit01

amrit01 Member

hey i have an avi file which is 733 mb and i want to make a dvd out of it but when i try to burn it through nero it says it is going to be 8.5 gigs so i lowered the quality it burned the video quality was great but the sound quality was terrible so i used cucusoft i converted there it still couldnt fit on a dvd it was off by 200 mb and the audio was still terrible and it was off so i tried converting it with mainconcept but the file was still 8.5 gigs so i tried with tmpgenc it made the movie dark but the audio was great what can i do to make the movie fit on one dvd but dont lose the quality and the movie is only 1 hour 20 min long

2. LinCathy

LinCathy Member

hi, why not try WinAVI Video Converter? Actually, it is commended by one of my friends, and it works fine for me all the time! It can convert avi to dvd just in 60 minutes with stunny video and audio quality!
    By the way, you can get it from its web http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

All you need to do is set the Video bitrate to the Correct setting...You will have this same Problem no matter what encoder you use, What determines the size of the encoded mpeg file is the Length of the Movie and the Bitrate you use to encode the file....

Here are the Settings you should use to get that movie to fit on a DVD with good Quality...
    First you should use the MainConcept encoder because you allready have it and it is fast and it is a Professinal quality encoder not like Cucusoft or WinAVI converter...

#1) First run MainConcept encoder and Load in your AVI file...

#2)Under "Mpeg Type" set it to "DVD"...
    Under "Stream Type" select "Program (Audio & Video)"
    Under "Video Mode" select NTSC if you Live in North america and Pal if you Live in Europe...
    Under "Audio Mode" select "Layer 2"...

#3) Now click the "Details" button...
    Were it says "Search Method" and "Search Range" set it to the Highest settings(15 & 31)...

#4) Now Click the "Advanced" buton.....
    On the Right were it says "Bitrate Type" set it to "Variable Bitrate"...
    Now were it says "Variable Bitrate" on the Bottom Right set the "Minimum" to 3000kbs ,Then Set the "Maximum" to 8000kbs ,Then set the "Average" to "6250kbs"....

#5)Now on the top click the "Audio Settings" tab...
    Were it says "Audio Type" Make sure it is at "Mpeg Layer 2" ..
    Now on the Right were it says "Audio Bitrate" set it to "384kbs"....
    Now Click "OK" on the Bottom and then OK" again...

#6) Now just click the "Convert" button and the encoder will encode the File to Mpeg2 for DVD with the Highest quality possible without being too big to fit on a DVD...It should be about 4gb when Finnished...

Now just author the Mpeg2 file to DVD useing your DVD authoring program and make sure the DVD authoring Program doesn"t re-encode the Mpeg2 file because some Crappy Programs Like "Nero Vision Express" will do that which ruins the Quality....

Good Luck

PS: you should download a Bitrate Calculator called "PowerBit" as it will tell you what Bitrate to use based on the Length of your Movie so it will fit perfectly on a DVD.....