1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi file wont play in windows media player

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by neilsawye, Mar 1, 2009.

1. neilsawye

neilsawye Member

Hi all, i am quite new to this avi stuff but i was told that to play the avi files you need to convert them. I tried to play it in wmp anyway and i got the audio but no video playing. I have winrar but whenever i click on the extract files button with the file selected it says "no archives found". Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

windows media player wont play avi's. Best bet is to download VLC Media player. It plays most every kind of video out there. But it also sounds like you have a bad file if winrar cant unpack the rar file.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

"Windows Media Player won't play avi"? That's certainly odd, considering .avi was developed specifically FOR Windows.

The issue most likely is that you just don't have the right codecs installed. What type of an .avi is it? What codec does it use?

If you've got the codec installed, WMP should be able to play it just fine.