1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI files - audio and video not in sync

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by muzika, Nov 18, 2004.

1. muzika

muzika Member

hi, i have downloaded an avi. movie and i have had to put it through videofixer because it had that funny pixel colour stuff going on (i dont know what its called, sorry) so that was removed when i did this, but from that point on, the video and audio was not in sync. Can someome please tell me how i can get it to be in sync, what programs do i need because i have tried a range of programs, but they don't help.

2. djgazza04

djgazza04 Member

exact thing happened to me when i converted avi to dvd ... fuzzy picture out of sync the lot so sorry i aint helping but im asking for help aswell lol thanx

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi guys,
    Synch used to be a big problem for AVI creators, but mostly problems pop up only when people modify or transcode AVIs like you have done.
    @ muzika
    What would you call a program that messed up your synch? 'Videofixer' would seem to be inappropriate... LoL :)
    @ djgazza
    Converting AVI to compliant DVD is hazardous and fraught with perils. Loss of synch is one of them.
    The source AVI audio will convert better if it is CBR MP3, VBR sometimes messes up.
    I use Nero on files I need to convert, which I rarely do, and it works really well and preserves synch faithfully.
    So somewhere between the characteristics of your AVI source and your conversion technique, it is messing up.
    The only way to 'fix' it is to try another conversion method.
    I would consider stripping the audio from your source AVI using VirtualDub or equivalent (I use NanDub) and decompressing it into WAV. It will then be 10 times larger in size, and can be used as the audio source for your DVD, as LPCM audio.
    Or, using TMPGEnc for example, it will take the LPCM WAV and encode it using its own audio codec (which it prefers to do).
    Anyway your DVD can't be 'fixed', you will need to convert it properly to maintain synch.
    Muzika's AVI can be fixed (re-synch'd) using NanDub.
    Using direct-source audio and video, the AVI can be copied to a new file with an adjustment for synch.
    The audio can be advanced or retarded, relative to the video, to achieve synch at the beginning of the program.
    Hopefully the synch will then maintain, throughout the duration of the program!
    If it wanders, that's a more complicated matter (but fixable too).
    If you find this is the case, we can deal with it at a later time, I won't go into it here...
    Regards

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.

5. muzika

muzika Member

Hey there again
    i used videofixer because it got rid of the fuzzy pixel stuff in the movie, it did a real good job of that because when you see the fixed version, you wouldnt even know there was that fuzziness to start out with. I tried nandub but it doesnt help the sync problem, or maybe im not using it properly...also, the dubbed file is way too huge

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

If you do not select direct-source, both audio AND video, you will get huge decompressed file!
    Then advance or delay the audio, in milliseconds (ms).
    Remember that 1000ms = 1 second.
    You can re-synch anything :)
    L8R

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry for the intrusion. This is THE method to fix the audio problems:

1) extract the audio from the movie with Virtualdub, with Audio set on Full processsing mode. When you open it, Virtualdub will give some audio warnings, but we knew it, isn't it? Do in Virtuadub File___Save WAV.

2) compress the about 1 - 1.5 GB .WAV file into .MP2 using BeSweet and the BeSweet GUI (type: MP2 for SVCD): it will be about 100 - 200 MB. Delete the .WAV, now it's useless.

3) use, in, TMPGenc, when you convert the .AVI into MPEG, as 'auddio input' the .MP2 file you just created. Multiplexing isn't possible, sorry.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004