1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI Files Have no Sound in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Pwalex, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

I have been working on trying to get this sorted out for a while, but so far completely unsuccessfully. No avi files are giving me any sound in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. I can see the video, and edit it and everything, but I get absolutely no sound. The sound works on all other filetypes. It's just avi's right now, specifially uncompressed .avi files. This was probably a bit vague, but I'm just desperate, if more info is needed, I'll try and do my best.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you are working with Uncompressed AVI files then you are also probably working with Uncompressed Audio in your AVI files which Premier should have absolutly no problems with , at least on my Machine Premier has no problems with Uncompressed Video/Audio...

The only thing I can suggest is to Maybe Extract the audio from your AVI file to a Seperate Wav audio File and Load the audio into premier seperately and Drag it to the Timeline and Drop it under the Video in place of the Audio.....

You can Extract the audio to a seperate .Wav file useing a Program Like "Virtual-Dub" buy loading in your AVI file and going to "audio" and set it to "Full processing Mode" and then go to "File" to "save as WAV" and give the File and name and save it and in a Couple minutes you will have a New Seperate wav file that promier should be able to Read......

Good Luck

3. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

Thanks man! I think that's probably what I'm going to have to do.

4. parsec5

parsec5 Member

you are probably using a dv camera. Choose project \ project settings \ general \ playback settings button \ disable the "play video on dv hardware" setting. Premiere is playing the audio back through your camera rather than sending it to the desktop.

5. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

Actually, I don't have a DV camera, so that can't possibly be an issue...

6. parsec5

parsec5 Member

So are you saying you tried the fix and it did not work? Or did you not bother to try it?

7. parsec5

parsec5 Member

What camera do you have? Capturing through usb or composite?

8. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

I haven't tried it yet because I can't (I only have access to my computer on alternate weeks) but the problem isn't just the stuff that I'm capturing, it's all AVI files. I've been capturing with an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 pro, using composite and S-Video.

9. parsec5

parsec5 Member

when you say all .avi 's have you tried any files not captured by your video card? Have you ever captured audio successfully using the current setup? When you use the composite, do you have separate audio / video plugs? If you use s-video, you still need an audio signal - how is that hooked up? What model camera do you have? Maybe I can look at the manual online and get a new set of eyes on it.

10. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

I have tried other AVIs, with composite I am using video, and both channels of audio. With the S-Video I do get sound. And again, I do not have a camera. The problem is deffinately with premiere, because all the AVI files that I've tried in premiere (including those I've captured myself) have working sounds when played in an actual video player.

11. amt01

amt01 Member

couldn't get sound on premier after loading AVI from camera
    found your thread through google
    parsec5 instructions <Choose project \ project settings \ general \ playback settings button \ disable the "play video on dv hardware" setting.> fixed problem perfectly
    thanks

don't think it matters if using camera or not - once AVI is in its an AVI. if that box is ticked you wont hear sound till its unticked.
    try it anyway. worked for me.

12. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

Nope, it doesn't work...

13. parsec5

parsec5 Member

I looked back at my comments - I am a bit dense I think :)
    Have you ever been able to hear .avi files on that system? Maybe you could try this - remove any extra cards from your system - including your capture card. Leave the sound in (or maybe it is onboard). In device manager, remove the PCI bus and reboot. It will pull every device driver out and redetect everything. You will need your Cd or I386 folder, and any manfacturer's cd's. Try to install the chipset drivers first if you have a choice. Once all is installed again, try the file again. This is a long shot, but not much effort.

Also, have you tried any other codecs? Try this pack of .AVI codecs. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AVI_Codec_Pack.htm I haven't used this angle in a while, but I had to use a mess of it for getting some DVD stuff to work.

If that doesn't work, kill a chicken that has never laid an egg and chant while spattering its blood around the computer. BUT NOT ON IT!

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Can you see the Audio Waveform on the Timeline or if the Audio waveform just a straight line?? Because if the Audio waveform on the Time line is Just a Straight Line then that means that premier is reading the audio as being Silent which might be a Codec Problem but if you are working with DV AVI files then the audio in uncompressed which doesn"t need any codecs to read....

When you render your project on the Timeline does the Rendered File have Audio???

Have you tried seperateing your AVI file into seperate audio and Video files and then adding each Track to the Timeline seperately??

15. Pwalex

Pwalex Member

Wow, that's a lot to go through... firstly, I am again, not at that computer and won't be again for another week or so, but I'll let you know about what you've asked.

My computer IS capable of playing those AVI files WITH sound in any other program (including Vegas Video) so I don't believe it's a codec thing.

The audio track in the timeline is just a straight line, but like I said, I don't believe it's a codec thing.

The rendered timeline still does not have audio, and I still haven't tried extracting the audio separately and importing it, but I'll be trying that next week.

Thanks so much for all your help guys!

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if the Waveform is Just a straight line then Premier isn"t reading the audio because if it was the Waveform wouln"t be a Straight line....

Also you can try to uninstall and reinstall Premier and see if that helps with it"s problem.....

I guess if you can"t get the problem resolved then you can just use Vegas Video as it can do most of what Premier can do.....

I actually prefer useing Vegas Video 6 over Adobe Premier pro because it is easier to use and can output to Dolby 5.1 audio and has a Better Mpeg-2 encoder....

Good Luck