1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi files to vcd or svcd in thick persons langage

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by supermac, Apr 13, 2003.

1. supermac

supermac Guest

i have downloaded a couple of movies for my kids from kazaa they are currently in avi files. i have nero but thats it. how do i turn them from avi files and burn them as vcds or svcds which ever is the easiest. can someone tell what i need and where to get it from in plain english step by step. i am a total newbie only got a computer for xmas and i am self taught so this will tell you just how slow i am. i've been trying for 2 weeks now with no success. when i encode thhem with nero it takes hours and hours and the end result just says will not fit. so how do i split it onto 2 disks and get the audio in sync with the video because when we watch it on the pc after about 30 mins its no longer in sync. please help a total retard in need.

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

There are numerous threads on this issue. Ger TMPGEnc (free and on this website) and convert your file. Use MPEG tools to merge, or cut.

Paul.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I recommend VBR SVCD! The best programs to use would be DVD2SVCD and CCE SP. However CCE SP costs a few thousand so lets forget I mentioned it shall we??

DVD2SVCD
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd2svcd.cfm

You can use it with TMPGEnc which is free and can be gotten from here...

TMPGEnc.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/tmpgenc.cfm

Now first thing you need to do is install (or extract, depends on which version you get) TMPGEnc into a folder and in DVD2SVCD click encoder and select TMPGEnc.

Where it says TMPGEnc x.xx, is where you have to point DVD2SVCD to the TMPGEnc.exe file. Thats easy enough!

Change Rate Control Mode to 2pass VBR. Motion Search Precision will probably be on Normal, I recommend highest quality but thats time consuming so I'll leave that decision up to you! Now click the Birate Tab

What I recommend you use is Max: 2530 Min: 300 Max Avg: 1600. That will allow you 60 minutes of high quality movie on one 80min disk!! Note that the quality wont be any better than the input quality!!

Click The Misc Tab and change input format to AVI. Output should be at MPEG-2

Now create a folder on your hard drive called movies!!

Click the Audio tab and change save in folder to C:\Movies (obviously C might not be your hard drive!) Also change the save in folders in the following tabs... encoder, pulldown, bbMpeg and CD-IMAGE.

Now click the cnversion tab. Open your avi file here. If its widescreen then choose 16:9 as aspect ratio, otherwise, choose 4:3. The auto shutdown feature is good because you can encode over night while you sleep and when its finished it will shut down your PC for you. NTSC to PAL is basically, if you live in Europe or Austrailia, select this if you can but if you live in North America or Japan, then dont! Click GO and click Preview Video, this should show you what it will look like when its done!

When you are ready click Go - Start Conversion!

When DVD2SVCD is finished, in your C:\Movies fol;der there will be a lot of files but all you need are the .bin/.cue files. These are cd images!!

In Nero click file - burn image and load in the .cue file. You will most likely need 2 cd's so 1 .bin/.cue = 1 cd. When you have successfully burned check it in your dvd player and if it supports SVCD then you should see good quality! Well of course if your avi file was horrible quality then so will this!

Any questions/further help, just ask or PM me if you need to!

4. supermac

supermac Guest

thankyou so much for the advice i understood it loud and clear managed to do everything just waiting to see what happens will let you know how i get on once again thanks for the easy to use advice it was much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2003
  5. Dela

Good Luck With It!

6. supermac

supermac Guest

well i've spent 31 hours waiting for it to finish doing what it was doing and it has come back with a message on the log saying
    "VDXBUILD FAILED TO CREATE A BIN/CUE FILE" what have i done wrong and what can i do about it prefrably without having to wait another 31 hours. please help

7. Dela

Go to your c:\ movies folder and bbmpeg muxed files should be in it. You can burn them with Nero or VCDEasy!