1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi files

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jynx_uk, Dec 6, 2002.

1. jynx_uk

jynx_uk Member

Can anyone help plz?
    i have a problem with avi files.when i download an avi file and then go to the folder to open it windows comes up with an error message saying windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.The error code points to the ntdl.dll.When i move the avi file to my desktop i do not get the error message only when its in a folder.
    Anybody got any ideas???
    Divfix sometimes works on incomplete files but not on full movies.

2. bang

bang Member

That's some weird problem? Not enough info to give a detailed guess. The problem may be related to running avi's made with hacked codecs. If so, try installing and using Windows Media player 6.4x (or which ever was the last before version 7). This is a recommendation given at www.digital-digest.com supposedly because version 7+ refuse to play avi's made with hacked codecs. I have only ever used 6.4 so I don't know. I am assumming your trying to play the clip through the browser? Note Windows Explore if very buggy, press Ctrl-Atl-Del and shut it down, and problems should reduce.

3. jynx_uk

jynx_uk Member

Thanks bang, but it does not only give me this error message when playing through media player.I just about get to open the folder the avi file is in b4 i get the error message.It is at its worst when the avi file is incomplete,i cant even open the folder that the file is in but sometimes if i catch it quick enough and change my foder options to tiles view rather than thumbnail view but even tho as soon as i try to play get the dreaded error message.I have windows xp pro,radeon 8500 dv all in wonder,p4 2.4, windows media player 9, divx 5.02.512 2700 ddr memory.

4. bang

bang Member

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a computer problem not a movie problem. I don't have XP, nor Windows Media 9, so these may be the sources of the problems but I can't be sure. Secondly, I don't know what security/anti-piracy features (concerning movies) have been put into XP or WM9 so I can't really help you. It sounds like the problem is stemming from Windows Explorer (don't confuse with internet explorer) and the only way that it MAY be fixed is downloading and installing a newer service pack. Run scandisk also for good measure, and also try setting a different folder for downloading and see if that one has the same problems.