1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI format movies to DVD-Video

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NeoKnight, Mar 8, 2005.

1. NeoKnight

NeoKnight Member

Ok when they say DVD-Video in the guide and say that the movies can be played on stand alone dvd players,does that mean I can burn a dvd and play it on any dvd player? (yeah I know the quality sucks compared to original) or one of those svcd,vcd,dvd, dvd+/- r/rw cd-r/cd-rw players?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It means you can play it on most stand alone DVD players. Of course this depends on media used and what type of format your stand alone player will support. But the file once converted will be DVD compliant and if burned properly will work in a stand alone DVD player.

3. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

a standalone dvd-player is a normal dvd-player that you have hooked up to your tv

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have an easy to follow guide on how to convert your files to DVD if you wanna look at it the link is in my signature :)

5. NeoKnight

NeoKnight Member

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

NeoKnight,
    Looks like the DVD-R is the way to go with that player. You can check here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers its model VRDVD4001
    3 people reported on that player and one had succesfull back up with a -R disk the other 2 say it won't play DVD backup's.

8 hours?? Where did you get that from... Did you try my guide out?

7. NeoKnight

NeoKnight Member

My cousin was telling me that but am more then sure he hasn't visted this or your site yet ;p I'll be sure to tell him about it :p. Anyway am gonna pick up some dvd-r's tommorrow ill give you a status report soon :). Thanks for the info!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just buy a couple at first to make sure. It wouldnt hurt to get a couple of each to test..

9. NeoKnight

NeoKnight Member

ok So far dvd-rw doesn't work on it.. I haven't tried dvd-r I don't think am going to bother though. I also tried a cd-rw and a cd-r (both burned as an SVCD from an avi file) which didn't work and a cd-rw with mp3 files which did work.

So I figured if the cd-rw (which was detected as a cd-r ) would work maybe a Dvd-rw would work (which didn't work) if a dvd-r supposedly works. Only other thing is the fact that the movie I was trying to play was a pal movie but I burned it as an NSTC, since I have an NTSC player. The movie I burned was an svcd to dvd erm dvd.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your not gonna know which format works if you don't try them :)

I would suggest though for testing purpose you back up an original NTSC DVD first. That way everything will be kosher.. Will the RW DVD play on your computer?

11. NeoKnight

NeoKnight Member

yeah the RW plays on my computer with no prob am about to go ahead and try the DVD-R....

edit: I decided to go ahead and just try out the DVD-r and well didn't work either. I got a incorrect disc message. So my guess is the person that said that dvd backups worked for him must of been talking about the mp3 files.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah that DVD player you have sorry to say doesn't look like it is very good at reading any type of recordable media... Walmart sells some elchepo DVD players all the time and those friggen thing will play anything.. Just a thought