1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI glitches then crashes.

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pyry, Jan 5, 2004.

1. pyry

pyry Member

firstly, i'd like to say that i am new to this site and i have searched the forums unsuccessfully to find an answer to my prob.

i have my movie in XVid format and although i manage to play it at certain points ( 2 so far ) the video glitches abit.. and freezes.. then the audio continues.. and eventually just crashes the windows media player. i dont mind the glitch.. but its the fact that it crashes the player.. and i have to seek again.. all for because of that 10secs of footage.

IF i skip that little section it works fine again. i experimented with different media players and found that some of them crash immediately when using the seek bar (DivX player 5.1) .. or some play the audio out of sync after seeking..

i know i'm getting a bit long winded, but better to be clear about the prob so get a more accurate answer.

so if anyone is kind enough to help me out, heres the bottom line questions :

1. what can i do about the glitch ? are any media players better than others ? more stable perhaps?

2. i know VCD players are more "resistant" to glitches and .. they tend to ride the bad patch out and continue playing. So if i burn my movie to VCD or SVCD anyway, should it be ok ?

thanks in advance for whoever can help out.

cheers
    Paul

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Seems to be a divide by zero kinda error -- no matter how resistent your player is, not much you can do in the face of divide by zero short of clipping it out --- you might try brute force reencoding it though