1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi hd?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by 360dude, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 360dude

360dude Regular member

if i download a avi movie file that comes from a hd source and put it onto dvd it will it still be have a HD picture

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

3. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

[necropost] does he mean just burning the avi straight to a data dvd or converting it for a dvd-video... bkuz if u convert it to dvd-video standards then it won't be hd-dvd

4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

lol this is a thread from april

5. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

ya don't say.. i even mentioned that it was a necropost.

6. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

oh sorry, i was wondering what that meant

7. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

wouldn't you have to split the AVI into several parts to fit it on DVDs anyways? Especially if your using DVD5. It would seem to be a little anoying to change discs all the time and then u need a dvd player which plays AVI.

8. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

well i know this post is quite old, but if you get a highdefinision sauce and burn it onto a dvd in dvd format it will loose its quality and become standard definision,
    but if you burn it as a hd avi file then it wont loose any quality but you won be able to play it on a dvd player.

now the weird thing is i have a proper dvd that someone in my faimly bought last year. its the titanic dvd spicial and it comes on 2 discs.

first disc is the first hour and a half of titanic second disc is the last hour and a half.
    and on the dvd box it says its the same as hd dvd quality.
    but if it is how are we ment to get that quality through a normal dvd drive?

9. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

"if you get a highdefinision sauce"
    you meant source right
    "on the dvd box it says its the same as hd dvd quality"
    They are probably just saying that, if that was possible there would be no need for HD-DvD and Blu-Ray

10. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

oh but i think the quality is a lot better because they could easily fit 3 hours of film onto a nomal dule layer dvd but they have streched it onto 2 dule layer dvds

11. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Probably they used a higher bitrate but i dont think the resolution is any higher than a regular dvd, making it not HDTV.
    If you really want to know you could open up one of the .vob files from the dvd in dvd2avi and then hit preview to see the resolution (it will say on the side). I am also interested in what it is so if you do this post the resolution info of the dvd.
    Thanks
    -Socom

12. kmac12

kmac12 Member

Im actually trying to do this now.

I have an avi file thats about 20gb. Its xvid mpeg4 hd 1920x800 with 2 audio tracks (one ac3 and one DTS).

Ive successfully created an hd-dvd out of a dvd-r dl (holds about 1.5 hours of hd content in mpeg2) with 5.1 sound.

So far though, ive only taken TS files, converted them to mpeg2 (with either Video Redo or MPEG2VCR) and then used Ulead's movie factory to create hd-dvd folders to burn on to disc.

Well, I dont know how to convert the AVI file to MPEG2 while keeping the DTS track only. Still working on it.

13. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

if you get it to work, a nice guide would be cool for us :)

14. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

yeah good work so far.

15. kmac12

kmac12 Member

Here is the guide that I followed for the TS file to HD-DVD conversion....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

It works great!

Im still working on the AVI file....played around with it some last night, but still didnt work properly.

I got it to strip the ac3 audio, but im still trying to figure out the best way to convert it to MPEG2 and retain the highest quality.

16. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

can this hd dvd yoru making is it an acually hd dvd would it play on a hd dvd player (if we could get them yet).
    and would it play on xbox 360 as a hd dvd?

i want to know because i cant play normal dvds in high definision (witch if it worked would be 480i) on my xbox 360.
    apparently according to the official xbox 360 magizine you can play standard dvds in 480i :(

17. kmac12

kmac12 Member

Yes, the discs that I am making contain hd-dvd folders. So, the Toshiba A1 hd-dvd player recognizes it as an hd-dvd even though technically, its on a dvd-r dl disc.

It plays beautifully at 1080i and looks like broadcast hd (which is the source of the TS files that I used).

So far, ive made 3 hd movies (they span either 2 double layer discs or 1 double layer/1 single layer).

Now, in Ulead Movie Factory, you can specify what kind of folders you want to make (DVD, HD-DVD or BD). But, ive never tried it with DVD folders, so I dont know what it would look like. Ive been focusing on hd-dvd only.

18. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I tried this last night using the same guide from avs forums. My source was a 42 minute episode of CSI in high def and in *.TS format transferred from my Comcast HD cable box to my PC using firewire. My HD-A1 recognized the HD-DVD right away and video playback was smooth on my Sony SXRD - comparable to broadcast HD. The Dolby Digital soundtrack also played flawlessly. The episode fit into a single layer blank TY DVD+R.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  19. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

so will they work on an xbox 360 perfectly?

20. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Without the HD-DVD add on drive the 360 will not play the discs as authored and burned in the guide. These are HD-DVD discs and NOT regular DVD discs. These can be played only on an HD-DVD player like the HD-A1. The 360 can play regular DVD's only at 480p on an HD display - it does not upconvert to 1080i or 720p.