1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi hd?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by 360dude, Apr 29, 2006.

1. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

yeah but we are burning them onto a normal dvd or dule layer dvd arnt we?
    so shouldnt a xbox 360 be able to read them

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I also tried this last night following the avs forum guide. I used VideoRedo instead of the Womble to convert a short TS clip - the fourth quarter of game 6 of the NBA finals. VideoRedo did a fine job of editing out the commercials. It was 720p so I had to put in the HDPatch. Burned nicely and was recognized as HD-DVD by the Toshiba. Playback was good so I guess the experiment worked.

@glitchzoo: The file system of HD-DVD is different from regular DVD's. So even if you burn this on a DVD+R/DVD+R DL a regular DVD player or the 360 still will not recognize the disc since the file system is different. You can try it though and see.

3. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

o i thorght that the xbox 360 was capable of reading hd dvd that is on dule layer because the normal drive it comes with can read it.

that kinda sucks then. can a computer read it yet?

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Only if you have an HD-DVD drive.

5. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

yeah but that is ripping people off. because if you put the hd dvd on a normal dle layer disc, the normal xbox 360 dvd drive is capable of reading it. i know if you were to use a proper hd dvd disc the normal xbox dvd drive couldnt read it.
    so ms are makling people haveing to buy the hd dvd drive.

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Where did you get this information?

7. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

just my bacic knowlage,
    if a xbox 360 game is on a dule layer disc and the xbox 360 can read it then it can certainly read a high definision format on a dule layer dvd.

but ms oviouslly will only allow you to play these if you but the hd dvd drive.
    which is a bit of a rip off because the xbox 360 is capable of reading the disc.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The only way to find out is to put your basic knowledge to test. Why not use the guide and burn an HD-DVD using a short HD clip then play it in your 360 drive? Let's see if the 360 can read your dual layer disc.

9. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

i just finsihed using the guide and if my pc cant read it then i dont think my xbox can. is there somthink iv done wrong?
    iv got all the files in HVDVD_TS and have burned them.
    but my computer cant read them and thinks its a normal data disc :(
    i think i have the latest windows media player (not version 11 no. 10 i think).
    but it cant read it.

10. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

That's because you need an HD-DVD drive or an HD-DVD player to read the disc. If you followed the guide you didn't do anything wrong. It's not a ripoff - you just need new hardware to read that kind of disc.

11. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

well my computer can see the datas there and nero can show some of th hd dvd sceans so i dont think you need new hardware. i know you would need new hardware if you burn it onto a hd dvd disc but i used either a cd or dvd.
    and can you buy hd dvd writers yet?

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The data is in HD-DVD format so you need an HD-DVD player to play the video. You have a DVD drive/burner so you can burn it and read the data but you still can't play the video.

13. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

hmm ok my computer can read some parts of it.
    tell me why you need a new hd dvd drive then? whats the diffrence with a hhd dvd drive reading a cd or dvd then a dvd writer reading a cd or dvd?

14. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Your DVD drive will not play the video on the burned disc. Only an HD-DVD player will play the video. Even if your PC can see the data it still won't play the video because the data if in HD-DVD format. You need an HD-DVD player to play the video on the burned disc. What you have there is an HD-DVD disc and a regular DVD drive will not play an HD-DVD disc. The size of the disc does not matter (DVD, DVD DL or HD-DVD) - what matters is the file format.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2006
  15. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

Is there a converter like Divx to DVD or convert X to DVD, that can convert avi to HD?