1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI (MPG4, AC3) to VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tls1, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tls1

tls1 Guest

What is the best way to convert/burn AVI (640x272)(V.codec=XVID-Mpeg-4) (A.codec=AC-3 ACM Decompressor) to VCD? And, will I get to keep the 5.1?

I've had to convert them to MPG1 and burn with a popular software package. The image quality is acceptable. The sound is plain stereo. However, towards the end of the disc, the sound starts to lose synchronization with the video.... like those old monster movies.

Any suggestions, ideas?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can not Use 5.1 audio in VCD"s as they do not support it ...

If you Put the VCD on to DVD then you could use Dolby 5.1 audio....

Also you will loose Sync if you convert your AVI file to Mpeg useing a frame rate different than the AVI file, meaning if your AVI file is 23.976fps you have to encode it at 23.976fps , If you encoded it at say 25fps or 29.976fps then you could loose sync...

Try useing "Tmpgenc" to encode the AVI file to VCD but make sure you also install this:

AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

This is so Tmpgenc can decode the Dolby AC3....

Cheers

3. tls1

tls1 Guest

Thanks for the insight.

Are you saying that if I simply burn the VCD structure onto a DVD I can have dolby, but not on a CDROM?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

No you would use VCD Video and Dolby Audio and author it to DVD useing a DVD authoring program, This way you can actually fit 4 Full VCD movies with dolby audio on a single DVD....

5. tls1

tls1 Guest

I don't have a DVD burner. Is there any way that I can have Dolby and/or 5.1 on a CDROM?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

No Most will not and you would have hell of a Time even finding a program that would let you Burn the VCD with dolby 5.1 audio....

Every one should have a DVD burner these days as they are Extremely Cheap ,You can Pick up a Toshiba 8X Dual Format DVD burner for $49 Right now on TigerDirect and you can get a NEC 8X Dual Format and Dual Layered DVD Burner right now for $64 on NewEgg.com...You can even get them cheaper than this if you look for a 4X Burner or a 2.5X Burner Pluss Blank DVD"s are only about .25c each in Bumk which is Cheaper than CD-R"s....

7. tls1

tls1 Guest

I guess I'm not everyone....