1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi on dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DarknSith, Apr 29, 2007.

1. DarknSith

DarknSith Guest

I have Man on Fire avi movie file downloaded (whole thing)

i burned it using Nero onto a blank DvD+R disc and when i load it in my PC it plays fine. good quality actually.

When i play it on my DvD player, PS2 or any other non PC device, it says "cannot read disc." im a newbie when it comes to this stuff but whats going on. am i burning it wrong or is a part of the file missing. i want to watch this movie with my wife and kids but can only view it on my PC using Nero ShowTime and that's it. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi DarknSith
    Which program in Nero did you burn it with?

Sounds like you need to convert it 1st. Not all DVD players will support avi/DivX files unless they are converted to a dvd compliant file 1st.

Here's a guide for Nero's Vision - link

3. Conodor

Conodor Member

Also check to make sure your burning in NTSC or PAL depending on where your at.

US = NTSC

when you get to the end and ready to start the burn you'll get a message sometimes that says something like

"your movie has both PAL and NTSC do you want to convert to all PAL"

hit no and you'll be good. other wise you'll get a coaster.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

As Binkie quite rightly says you'll have to use an encoder on that file first before putting to DVD- or +R.

You can these days but a cheap DivX/XviD dvd player (here in UK as cheap as £25) but otherwise you need to change screen ratio to correct NTSC or PAL formats & audio to 48kHz too.

Anyway keep reading , you'll find your way I'm sure :)