1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi on quicktime

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sarahvita, Jan 15, 2005.

1. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

i tried to play a downloaded avi. file (about 48 MB) on quicktime and it told me i couldnt play the movie because quicktime or the website didnt have a needed compressor to play it. any suggestionsl, can i use a differnet compressor?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I just went and Tried to play a XviD AVI file in Quicktime and I got the same Message as you do and it would not play the File so it is because Quicktime doesn"t support some AVI formats Like DivX or XviD which most AVI files downloaded off of the Net are...

You are either Going to have to use Media player or if you have DVD Playing Software Installed then they should be able to play it as long as you have the Correct codecs Installed....

Cheers

3. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

what is a codecs?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

So you must really be new to computers if you don"t know what a Codec is??

Every video format uses it"s own Compression algorythm and for your Computer to read the Video Format it needs a Codec (Encoder/Decoder) so it Can Decypher and read the Video format....

I"m sure you have heard of DivX and XviD before ? Well these are all Video formats and to watch different Video formats you need specific codecs installed so your Compuer can read them....

If you do a Search on Google for "FFDShow" and go and Download it and Install it and you shouldn"t have any problems watching Most AVI formats In Media player...(Not Quicktime because it doesn"t Support all codecs)
    FFShow is a decoder(Codec0 that can decode many different Formats so it is better than Installing Numerous diferent Codecs....

Cheers