1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI or DVD?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by xStealthx, Dec 8, 2007.

1. xStealthx

xStealthx Member

I have a DVD player that can play DivX avi files. If I get an AVI file, 700mb and burn that to a CD and play it on my dvd player, will I get the same, less or better picture quality than if I use Nero to convert it to DVD?

I'm asking because my friend said when he played back an AVI it looked low quality but when he burnt the same AVI to a DVD he said he got perfect quality.

I found this a bit hard to believe, so I thought i'd ask here.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I cannot detect a difference between a good quality DivX file on my TV screen and the same file converted to DVD format with Nero - but it's an excellent way to start an unresolvable argument.

3. Sim001

Sim001 Guest

The video quality may be a little worse than the original, but could be accepted. I think it will not affect your watching. Nero can be trusted in.

4. bulldogz

bulldogz Guest

VCD=OK
    DVD=PERFECT
    (Trust me...I know)

5. philzone

philzone Regular member

one thing is for sure... you will NEVER get better quality video after a decompression-reencode. its just not possible. that being said, some players, though compatible with a given format, may resample the given format to allow playback, but the result may be decreased quality. so the same file, played back in dvd format may look better, but this is a result of limitations in the player. hope that made sense...

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

keep the avi of course. reencoding to dvd is a waste of time.