1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI or MPEG compression

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wikky1, Jan 16, 2005.

1. wikky1

wikky1 Member

I have a few questions. I have a number of AVI files that I am trying to put on DVD-R's. I have vso divxtodvd converter to make them readable for the DVD-R. After I convert them, it has produced an MPEG-2 movie and then IFO and BUP files. I am using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator to make these DVD's. Here are my questions:

1. How do I compress/shrink these now-converted MPEG files so as to fit them to one DVD-R?

2. Are the IFO and BUP files necessary to burn on the DVD to make the MPEG-2 movies work?

3. Is there any converter that will simply just produce an MPEG-2 video by itself without any IFO and BUP files, and if so, could I therefore just burn the resulted MPEG-2 movies straight to the DVD?

Please help. Thanks.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm not familiar with the program you're using, but the best solution is to use a good MPEG encoder like CCE, MainConcept, TMPGEnc Plus (or Xpress), or Procoder for encoding and a separate program like TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD Lab for authoring the DVD.
    Yes. Those files tell your player what parts of the VOB (video/audio/subtitle/menu) files to play and when. There are some newer players that can play MPEG files that haven't been authored into DVD format, but if the manual for yours doesn't say it can I'd assume it can't. You can also check the player database at Videohelp.com to see if anyone else has tried it or not.
    See my first 2 answers.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

1) try dvdshrink