1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi or mpeg losing sync

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by digalot, Dec 29, 2004.

1. digalot

digalot Member

I captured a bunch of vhs to mpeg which all work fine, they playback fine on any player i have. Unfortunatly, the audio was in bad shape, and needed processing to equalize it and normalize it.

I am using Sony Vegas 5 as it has all the things i need for the audio and video ( at the moment i am not even editing just sorting the audio)

my problem is this:

No matter how i save, the audio ends up way out of sync with the video by the end of the 19 minute segment it is a good 3 seconds off or more!

i have tried saving the file in as many different formats as possible and the same thing happens, the audio is behind the video by a long shot, although it all starts out in sync.

i have tried uncompressed audio that does not work either...

In the preview and the edit screen of vegas it plays fine and is all in sync, but the final render is always broken.
    the file is a direct import into vegas fro mthe origional no pre processing or anything and up until the render it is fine.
    i tried a bit in premier and it seems to do the same
    is it my codecs that are crap?

the end edit ( when i have gone through all the videos and taken the bits i need) will be put onto a dvd. but until i get the thing in sync without any processing then i can't really go any further.

i have not had conversion trouble before now either.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for the help

machine specs

p4 2.6 ht
    512mb 3200 ram
    160gb seagate eide (about 80gb free)
    on board intel 865g graphics
    creatix video capture card

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Did you try to extract the audio from the mpg with Virtualdub (Audio __ Full processing mode), compressing the WAV to MP2 with BeSweet and re-encoding the movies with TMPGenc using as Audio Input the new MP2 file, as written in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. digalot

digalot Member

yes i did that and no it didn't work

even taking the mpeg source file and making it a DVD it loses sync

4. digalot

digalot Member

well i pretty much sorted it anyway...

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Would you mind saying us how you did it?

6. digalot

digalot Member

in the end it had to be done the old fashioned way, i am guessing whatever codec was origionally used was off... but in my final edit, i cut the segments up smaller, and offset the sound by however much it was off, luckily for the edit i was doing i had alot of fade to black segments, so that i could do this, and in the end only 2 segments had bad sync,

the final render was perfect in every codec i tried.

it was puzzling though that it played back prefectly in the editor all the way through, but was out of sync by the end of the untouched version.

in the perfect world i would be using a time base generator to do all this, but this is not perfect so we have to make do eh?

Needless to say i will be doing more experiments with the codec in question, even though i have not had any trouble with this before, and do quite a few xvid/divx avi conversions, this was a conversion from an mpeg to another mpeg (only dvd compatible).